AuthorTopic: Ken portrait WIP  (Read 16856 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Ken portrait WIP

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 02:14:54 pm
didnt really bother me too much coz its just like I can move things around on the computer and fix things easier rather than keep drawing until i get it right

That's fine... nowt wrong with that process. At the end of the day just do what suits. All I'll say is this though, if you find you're struggling with a posture, pose and the associated anatomically accuracy then it's always a good idea to STOP and re-evaluate... it's best earlier on in the process to make sure it's correct as you save a lot of time later on - but the point I'm getting at is to not be afraid of going over your work JUST because you've spent a long time on it... if it's wrong, it's wrong, it doesn't matter how good the final rendering is if everythings out of place. Anyway enough of that jabbering...

pixel look good - around the face especially..

another thing I think you should I should point out (sorry to go on) .. is to try and work all over the image to the same degree... that's to say that you've failed to block in your main color groups, particularly with reference to your shadows... where as the face and hair is kinda complete. Basically start rough at hone it down until you're happy. The reason for this is similar to what I was yabbering on about earlier... it saves you time in the long run as you can see how the WHOLE is coming together, you can evaluate it accordingly and make the neccessary changes earlier with less impact on areas yoy may have spent ALOT of time gettting perfect. -

When you work in the way you're doing now (again nothing wrong with it) but you have to be super confident evrything is in the perfect place. The pre-raphaelites used to work in this way... it's a VERY tight way of working and it can work - it's just very time consuming.

Keep on pushing...

Cheers.
Pete :)

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 04:17:52 pm
Did a little edit. In the meanwhile, you got lots of useful replies, heh...

This work is looking good, i like the shading and the face and hair. It's moving in a great direction, should look great in the end. I specially like how it has a few anime subtones while freeing itself from the "anime look" template, personally i'm tired of that worn look (SF concept art was always somewhat far from that, and i loved it).
The main thing i did was fix the shoulder length. I added some lines for muscle form and definition, but they're just my interpretation, hope they're not so messy that you can't make it out.

Oh yeah, and basically what baccaman said is the basic thing you'll have to do anytime to get consistent looking anatomy, not wonky one. And going back and redoing wrong stuff from the start is what separates a mature artist from one who has yet to reach that point... (something i've only relatively recently come to have a grasp on)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:25:54 pm by Turbo »

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 04:33:31 pm
"Mature artist"... hey... I like that... :) :D

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 11:23:32 pm
Excellent work so far. :) I love the contrast.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 08:23:30 am
thanks again for all the advice and help, I wont be online for a while so the next update I do it will probably be finished ;)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 04:56:52 am
his right arms tricep just looks like a bicep on the other side of his arm, give it more of a(tricepish?)shape.

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 02:36:33 pm
how's this coming on Takem? no updates for a few days?

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 04:01:26 am
how's this coming on Takem? no updates for a few days?

firstly my name is TakaM :P
and well, we went over our monthly internet limit so I thought i wouldnt be online for a couple weeks.. but our internet provider kindly doubled our limit free of charge n_n
so i didnt really intend to do any work on it for a while.. sort of like what I do with homework. its still pretty much the same as the last update. But I definetly will finish this :)

nice to see people are interested

edit-
actually, one thing I havent been able to make my mind up on.

which eyes are better? (might help to zoom in a couple times)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 04:13:45 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 09:08:07 am
er... hey... er... TakaM  ;)
I prefer the first sample... I see what u're trying to do with the 2nd but I'm not sure it's doing it for me... it's very subtle regardless and zoomed out (1:1) it's hardly noticable.

keep on pushing... :)
pete

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 03:06:06 am
I'm gonna have to agree, the first one looks better