AuthorTopic: CC Challenge - Hands On!  (Read 58685 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: CC Challenge - Hands On!

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:08:00 am
Photocopier, your sprite is unfortunately not within NES specs. There's a reason the hands are white in certain places and flesh in others, it's because the palette has to change halfway the sprite to allow for the blue and white.

Offline sakket

• poop'n
    • View Profile
    • my yootoob

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:47 am
Photocopier, your sprite is unfortunately not within NES specs. There's a reason the hands are white in certain places and flesh in others, it's because the palette has to change halfway the sprite to allow for the blue and white.
oho i was wondering about the white hands. feel stupid not putting two and two together. XD
littleroller.blogspot.com

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 07:46:48 am
Cool to see some sprite work! For some reason I was expecting people to focus on tilesets and largely ignore sprites (don't know why).

Photocopier: needs some more frames to get a smoother motion, I say. Also a little more of a snap to the clothes being ripped off could work well. Add more of an anticipation to the moment before the clothes tear.  ;D

sakket: Could use more follow-through/overreach, as well as more anticipation for the swing. In other words, he should bring his shoulder and arm back, then bring it forward and then have the follow through.

also is this pretty much a mockup frenzy sorta thing?

The challenge goes hand in hand (oh ho!) with the commercial critique. The role of the commercial critique is to ascertain the techniques that worked well/positively contributed, and the elements which didn't work so well/detracted. The role of this challenge is to exercise what has been learned by "extending" the content of the game being studied. This means trying to replicate the "good" techniques by creating new tilesets, sprites and mockups (for a hypothetical Shatterhand+), and eliminating the "bad" techniques with revisions of existing sprites and tiles in the game.

In other words, this thread is for taking what you have learned and applying it back on to the game you have looked at. In the process you will level-up in pixelling. :)

I'd enter... but I don't really get the specs.

What exactly listed in the specs don't you understand? There are many people here who could elaborate for you.

EDIT:

WIP. For some reason I wanted to go with a jungle temple loaded up with deployable tech-modules slotted into the ruins. 3 background palettes used so far  :hehe: Very fun to work with!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:31:51 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 02:12:09 pm
3 background palettes used so far

- Mossy rocks and walls
- Fence, main background and tech stuff
- Crates

That's the 3 you are talking about I assume.

The little support item box you have at the top left I am pretty sure is a background entity as well. When you look at the game you always have 3 palettes + the one used in the powerup items and some destructible terrain, like the big white pillars in the first level. Just because there is another background "behind" them does not mean they are sprites. The background tiles and properties simply get switched on destruction or usage.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 02:36:49 pm
Aha! I was wondering whether or not those were sprites or backgrounds... but it seemed a little crazy for them to be sprites, since the the player alone uses 2 palettes, so if the powerups used another palette that would only leave 1 other palette for enemies and maybe effects  :lol:

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 02:42:20 pm
I was under the impression that there are 4 colours allowed per 8*8 square, as you can see my sprite can be devide up in such a way:

or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?

EDIT:
Thankyou EyeCraft, I think these all follow the limitations now:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:42:58 pm by Photocopier »

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 03:07:33 pm
Remember, its not really 4 colours per sprite, its 3 colours + transparency. So black + white + green + flesh + trans = 5.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 04:06:36 am
I thoroughly enjoy reviewing everything everyone comes up with during these critiques/workshops, but I feel compelled to admit, I just have no desire to design pixel art within these restrictions. it's interesting, but not for me. Limited palettes are fun, but creating tiles to comply with the 4 colors per 8x8 entity, etc, is a little wiggety wack for mathias. By all means, more power to those that have the skill/patience to do it. Eyecraft, that mockup is SWEET.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 02:08:00 pm
wip

Just some random tiles, will see if I can come up with some theme.

@EyeCraft
looks great :y:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:11:57 pm by vierbit »

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 05:41:29 pm
- EyeCraft, yours fits the style very well I think. Great work.

- vierbit, I love it. But look out that in the end you have "closed shapes" with "techno-texture" and not too much fuzzy details "around" the level geometry.

I'm not sure if I followed the style close enough. I don't have enough pseudo-techno-tiles and because I only used 16x16 tiles I don't have the same complexity as the original. Shatterhand works more in closed-shapes with techno-texture than actual blocks like mine, I think. The readability lacks too. The colors could work, tho. 3 of 4 palettes used so far, I think a green ramp would work great for addidional objects (like destroyable pillars)

I think I'll start a new one. The goal should be to fit the style, not just a random NES mockup, heh