AuthorTopic: Bosses for my Game  (Read 4401 times)

Offline newsomjk

• View Profile

Bosses for my Game

on: March 12, 2010, 04:11:53 am

fenrir

jormangund
(don't have the attack animation yet)

It has to be limited to 2 frames for all animations. Suggestions for improvement on the animations is what i'm looking for but critique on the pixel art itself would be fine too.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Bosses for my Game

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:39:07 am
Shame you can't get a couple more frames of animation... it would do wonders. You sure you can't get more?

I think you should get more of the shoulder in the swipe animation to lend it more strength:

Shade the whole form a little more than favouring the individual pits of fur, will greatly improve the 3d-ness and pop of the piece.

I reckon kill the dithering on the serpent, looks a little too much like fur to me.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:44:22 am
I think the jeweleater boss from SD3 really exemplifies that point, and has a similar style:

Though I don't know what your sprites are like size/style-wise, it's a similar concept. So study the pallete and shading techniques of this sprite and learn from the old masters. It also shows the different components involved in a good paw swiping animation, so you can see the frames.

Offline newsomjk

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:00:20 am
umm, well I think I could possibly add more frames, it would make the programming more tedious. My main reason is i'm very lazy when it comes to animating pixel art lol.

I see what you mean about the shoulder, i'll work on that. as for the jeweleater boss, it doesn't really seem to have much of a paw swipe animation. it looks like a jump and a lick lol.

The player sprites are about the size of fenrir's head. and the game has more of a darker atmosphere.

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:07:38 am
Laziness with animation is horrible.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:39:36 am
If you don't have some technical reason that you can't hvae more than 2 frames, you absolutely must have more frames. Period.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 06:53:36 am
umm, well I think I could possibly add more frames, it would make the programming more tedious. My main reason is i'm very lazy when it comes to animating pixel art lol.

One thing to keep in mind with animation is sense of motion compounds very quickly with each new frame you add. Going from 2 to 4 frames is a huge increase in motion, from 4 to 6 even more, 6 to 8 more, etc. Just an extra 2 frames can make a massive difference. If you want to approach animation you just cannot get lazy, or you won't get a good motion. Don't think about it as painstakingly filling out the details over and over, that's not the core of what the animation process involves... it is simply communicating the motion of bodies through various key frames, or poses. This can be done largely irrespective of detail, especially for fast animations.

Try examining some of the 4-frame attack animations in this thread, you can see the convincing motion that can be achieved with such a small frame count and not much detail.

Approach it as fast sketches of each key frame, then when you have the motion looking right, add detail where its going to matter. Done.

I see what you mean about the shoulder, i'll work on that. as for the jeweleater boss, it doesn't really seem to have much of a paw swipe animation. it looks like a jump and a lick lol.

The player sprites are about the size of fenrir's head. and the game has more of a darker atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to my suggestion on how to render the fur, rather than the animations. Note the shift in concentration of shadow and light tones across the overall form of the subject.

If the game is going for a "dark" feel, that generally means heavier shadow, which SD3's sprite obviously doesn't involve so much. But the exact principle will still apply: shade according to the subject's form... yours would just play up the shadows.

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:27 am
If it's a sidescrolling sort of game, as opposed to first person, then I think there's definitely a problem. Fenrir is looking at us, and that two-frame arm swipe looks like he's batting away a fly.
I think you're going about the bosses the wrong way. They should be on the same plane as the character, aiming at the character, looking in the character's direction.

That's if this is your conventional sidescroller. But, as it stands, the bosses seem totally disinterested in anything but the camera (which is us).

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:06:32 pm
Just my two cents:

I think you could get away with zero animation the beats or stick with an idle like your sea serpent. Then I would make my animation be a claw strike that comes from right to left or however you want to do it. Insert a good sfx to go with the swipe and you have a very simple and low frame animation.
Look at Dragon Warrior Franchise or early FF games on the snes to see what I mean.

Offline newsomjk

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:34:34 pm
Shrub, it's not a side scroller.

Alright, I'll try reworking some of fenrir when i get some free time and see how it goes. thanks for the advice!