AuthorTopic: Minimalist Platform Characters  (Read 12066 times)

Offline TheSilentRoomate

• View Profile

Re: Minimalist Platform Characters

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:16:36 pm
I added some cave tiles too!

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 06:40:57 pm
I happen to have liked parts of the old rhino better. It had a more cartoony style that better fit in. For instances the eyes, the horns, and the mouth. I think more use of the darker shade (like in the updated version) should definitely be applied. The Volcano should be as in the newer one, but with slightly paler colors.

I think it should be a combination of the two.

Other then that, I'm loving this style and animations.

Offline TheSilentRoomate

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 03:04:06 am
Thanks! i tried a little edit on the rhino, added the smile back and changed the eye a bit
I'm also, as it says above, trying to make my character punch with stretchy arms and am having a bunch of trouble with that so if anyone can give me some advice i really need it!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:25:16 pm by TheSilentRoomate »

Offline TheSilentRoomate

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 09:25:43 pm
I tried an edit on the stretchy arms but it looks pretty motion tweened and I'm not really sure how to fix it

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 11:08:46 pm

I played around with it
' _ '

Offline TheSilentRoomate

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 11:30:34 pm

I played around with it
Wow this sure is way better than mine! I love how the arm comes back in all elastic like! Thanks!

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 12:00:04 am
I think you'll be able to get a stronger sense of force if he pulls his arm back for a frame or two before the punch is thrown. It kinda looks like his arm is being pulled out by some external force, rather than on the character's own merit.

Offline TheSilentRoomate

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:15 am
I think you'll be able to get a stronger sense of force if he pulls his arm back for a frame or two before the punch is thrown. It kinda looks like his arm is being pulled out by some external force, rather than on the character's own merit.
Yeah you're right, the only problem with that is it puts some delay on punching in the game which would be really annoying to play with in the game, like in most castlevania games so I need to find a way to avoid that..

Offline BwdYeti

• Emo Halb + Emocar = :|
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 12:11:15 am
Are you looking for stretchy arms like they're literally made of rubber or like they're over-exaggerated? (I think you mentioned things like Mario's punches in Mario 64/Smash, but I can't find it; post was edited?) Because the two look totally different o:

And a windup frame might introduce a little delay, but you can do something very short, and the effect it adds to the animation is well worth it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:12:47 am by BwdYeti »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 12:25:29 am
Yeah you're right, the only problem with that is it puts some delay on punching in the game which would be really annoying to play with in the game, like in most castlevania games so I need to find a way to avoid that..

I think you'd need it - Jads version does it for 1 frame and it has a significant impact on the animation as a whole, but it only adds a 6/100th of a second delay. I would personally do it longer than Jads version. You might have to make a playable test to see whether it really would negatively effect the gameplay.