AuthorTopic: [WIP] The Kraken Awakens  (Read 6866 times)

Offline Badassbill

• View Profile
    • pixelbab

[WIP] The Kraken Awakens

on: February 28, 2010, 08:05:00 pm
I've been working on this on and off for a while now, and so far it has been fairly straight forward. That said, I've never really done anything like this, and would appreciate any tips or advice when progressing. I'm mostly hoping for critique on the composition of the piece rather than the pixeling. My main focus has been making sure the boat looks like it's being constricted, and not simply being held.

Newest:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:57:42 pm by Badassbill »

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Re: [WIP] The Kraken Awakens

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:33:14 pm
The colors suggest being deep underwater when really it's near the surface, so I would fix that. Other than that though the composition of the image is nice.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:01:51 pm
If I were you, I'd consider adding a bit of blue into the palette.

I did a very quick, very rough color edit in photoshop, but I think it helps add a bit to the "mood" of being underwater.

Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline turfsurfer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:28:22 am
I think you've done a fairly good job making the boat look crushed, I think a few stray shattered boards might help that, but the thing I'm really noticing is that the places where things break the surface of the water dont seem to be on the same plane. I think if you adjusted the ellipse where the largest tentacle is breaking the water it might help to fix that.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 01:13:46 am
Malor's edit addresses the biggest issues I had, namely the pallete needing some blues and the shadows being too warm. It'll also need some bubbles and debris, but such details can wait until the final stages.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 01:55:17 am
The main problem is you don't account for refraction of light.
For a certain angle which is reached at a very short distance (a few meters) light (from beneath) would undergo total reflection on the surface, and no light could come from outside.
You would not see the outside parts of tentacles nor the sun / moon, but what's below would be 100% reflected.

I couldn't find a suitable ref except the turtle photo down in this page.
No time now, but I might look again tomorrow. In the meantime, try to find underwater shots with visible sun, I think you'll understand the point.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:21:24 pm
oh yes, I fully agree with Manu. There's no caustics occurring. I knew something was bugging me about this. Nice job so far. Love the closest, detailed-out tentacle, but shouldn't it be a little thicker to convey more accurate diminishing perspective? That next closest one has such different lighting, it seems far away, yet their thicknesses are so similar. That's the trouble with detailing one part of a rough image so much in the prelim phase, you run the danger of needing to back-track and change it. Of course, don't do anything that would jeopardize the feasibility of completing this image.

Offline Badassbill

• View Profile
    • pixelbab

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:30:49 pm
I've made a rough update based on the advice (see first post).

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:55:53 pm
Hurm what if you added some water splashing effects into the mix? That was worded poorly but you get what I mean.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:27:30 pm
The purple in the edit should have a bit more blue.  Actually more blue overall would enhance the underwater feel.

And it feels as if the water isn't even there.  The water should have substance; I would lower the highlights just a bit, have more mid tone and lower the darks even more.

The other thing I noticed is that the wood looks like it's being crushed, but the center tentacle doesn't look like it's crushing.  I think inserting a few straight lines in it's outline at the right points would help that.

But so far, this is looking pretty sick.