AuthorTopic: First Pixel Wall + Grass Thingy [WIP]  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Pikita

• View Profile

First Pixel Wall + Grass Thingy [WIP]

on: February 14, 2007, 02:53:32 am

Can you guys suggest anything to make it better because i just cant work out what i need to do

Offline templargfx

• View Profile

Re: First Pixel Wall + Grass Thingy [WIP]

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 03:32:43 am
Its the little details that your missing, the textures...

take the grass, its passable, but a little bland (if you dont mind me saying)

for instance, take this image :

the grass at the top is done similar to yours, a single color with a few "blades of grass" to give it that this-is-grass look.

the right is a little better, this is quick and easy, just draw little lines all over your tile, then darken the bottom of the lines a little.

finally, the bottom tile is a whole diffrerent ball game, you can see the grass hieght and the different blades all over the tile. still I rushed this a little, and it could have been better.

I hope this helps.

Offline Pikita

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:30:42 am
can you explain how to do the bottom tile please

Offline templargfx

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:39:44 am
for the bottom tile I chose 4 shades of the green I wanted to use from light to dark.

along the bottom left and right edges of the tile, I drew lots of 2 pixel high vertical lines randomly choosing between the 4 colors, but ensuring that there were no 2 lines of the same color next to each other.

after doing this, I took the lightest color, and randomly, but evenly places single pixels of that light color over the tile, I then did the same with the darkest color, not really worrying about spacing it evenly between the light pixels, just evenly over the tile, then using the two mid-tones I filled in some ofthe pixels around the dark and light pixels to give the tile a little more depth, the darker midtone was placed around the dark pixels, and the lighter midtone around the lightest pixels.

if I was more serious about this, and not just making an example, that last step I would spend a decent amount of time on,making sure that the spread of light and dark was as close to even over the tile as possible. as it is in my example, there is a little too much dark.