AuthorTopic: obesity.  (Read 11961 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: obesity.

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 06:20:59 am
The colors are good--almost reminds me of Metroid.
I don't like the muscle below where the ears should be (no ears!?!) it's too....muscular...for somebody so blubbery...the chin is also defined too much. See this
The eyes, or eye holes rather, are not far enough apart (remember the "one-imaginary-eye-between-each-eye" rule of thumb). 
But other than that, I'm liking this..can't wait to see it done.  :y:

Oh yeah, and that right hand is BEGGING for a television remote control.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 07:24:57 pm
helm: thank you so very much for that edit, it is helping me alot. what are some of the other faults you are finding in this piece?
stwelin: could you explain more what you are talking about? is it maybe i failed to make it look like that shoulder is in a position where it is receding like that and it just seems to be smaller than his other shoulder?
rydin: ironically those muscles are jaw muscles which are used in chewing. ive made it where they arent defined at all, considering he has no mouth. ive also seperated the eye holes more.

thank you for all the comments everybody, i will continue to update.

Offline Badassbill

• View Profile
    • pixelbab

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 10:48:30 pm
The fat on a women's chest is shaped that way because of the hormones releast. The fat on a mans chest starts on the chest, hangs down and then rolls under the arms. Essentially for a person of that size, their arms would be pushed further outwords due to the fat under their arms. Also, if someone was that large, their exessive breathing would mean a larger diaphram, pushing the muscle under his chest further outwords. I think the legs being also more defined would help, as a guy that big would need some real fire power in his legs just to get through the day.

It's coming along nicely, I hope my crit helped.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 11:17:27 pm
soup: if anything im trying to get away from my normal great physique, perfectly shaped bodied, extremely ripped figures; if only for one piece. does this guy convey strength and power without such muscularity? if so ive accomplished one of the goals for this piece. im definitely trying to convey grossness aswell.

To me he feels a little bit too.... tight?  Strong, overweight people are a tremendous challenge compared to simply creating fat people or strong people in that you have to first create the body of a strong man; muscles over a skeleton which for the most part obey tension and a little bit of gravity.  then you need to bring the fat over that, which obeys tension slightly, but mostly obeys gravity.  hers a bit of an illustration of what i mean:

If it helps, think of this as a very strong man "wearing" fat over his muslces.

Hope this makes sense.  i like the piece so far
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 03:41:37 am
not many of the latest crits have been taken into account yet, so i will wait and respond to those replies once i get around to those crits.

this is the piece right now
and here is a progress anim so far:

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 04:24:20 am
Are those supposed to be...abs?

I hope they're just lumps.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 05:04:19 am
I'm still not keen on the head. Maybe you could try experimenting with various masks? I think a gas mask could look good.
The arm with the clenched fist looks really stiff when compared with the other arm. Better shape on the dick, but I don't think the fade to white is really working at all on his lower body. It's too sudden a transition from that dark teal. The difference in shoulder structure is a bit jarring to me.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 05:48:23 am
faktablad: they are definitely just fat lumps. its a tecnique that i see quite a bit of artists use at conceptart.org.
faceless: yeah, im not satisifed with the head at all either. hmm, im quite partial to the fade in, but if it doesnt work it will go.
i think most issues of this piece are because of its wipness, sadly not even his entire body is completely fleshed out yet.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 07:04:10 am
helm: thank you so very much for that edit, it is helping me alot. what are some of the other faults you are finding in this piece?

I find the head design really uninspiring, one-eye or two. You've made too many of the same-looking creatures for me to be excited, but this might not be an issue with people who see your art for the first time, so that this as you will.

the arms still are malformed, uneven and bloaty (especially forearms). I'd suggest working with more reference. The muscle tissue doesn't seem to lace around bone and such, it's just a collection of idealized muscle you might consider good to draw.

On the other hand thecolors are interesting, the background gives it more interest and generally a mood is achieved. However I can't help but see the flaws strongly.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 07:07:48 am
helm: i dislike the head aswell. i think that by giving this guy such size, i have forgotten to realize that there is a bone structure, that the muscles are attached to, and the fat is over. ( which adarias's wonderful drawings enforces)