AuthorTopic: Guts  (Read 7786 times)

Offline Derek

• View Profile
    • derekyu.com

Re: Guts

Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 06:55:56 am
Aw, that's sweet, ptoing.

I'm definitely not good at color conservation - I do try to keep the color count down, but since I don't work with any hardware limitations, I tend to just use whatever colors I like.  My feeling is that there's no need to force myself to a small palette if I don't have to (other than to be disciplined)... but I am impressed as hell with what you could do with less than half the colors.  Wow!  I'll probably grab your edit and make some edits of my own to get it how I want it (and add a few more colors back in the process).  Is that cool?  And I love both the swords you did - much better than mine.

The 4 color ones are fun as hell to look at, too.  Thanks a bunch!

And thanks for the nice welcome (back), everyone!  I'm already learning a lot.  You guys are ace bandages.

Anyway, is this the Derek Yu?  It's awesome knowing you visit pixelation.

Haha, I guess it's "the" Derek Yu.  I don't know of any others!  Nice to be here.  I tend to come and go as far as forums are concerned, but I've been really into pixel art again recently, so you'll have to put up with me for at least a while. :D

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 07:07:49 am
I guess when I think about it, not many professional artists go outside of updating their website or posting on CGTalk, so I was a bit surprised when I saw someone mention Yu.  I was most certain it was you from the look of this piece, too.  It has your recognizable pixel style, if that makes any sense.

Looking forward to Aquaria, by the way!  :y:

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 07:39:31 am
Gah, it's this Derek Yu guy, again?

My only gripe is the jaggedness of some of the lines. The highlights on the metallic arm for example. Otherwise I like it a lot.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 11:08:15 am
Wow!  I'll probably grab your edit and make some edits of my own to get it how I want it (and add a few more colors back in the process).  Is that cool?  And I love both the swords you did - much better than mine.

Nah man, never use an edit like that. I suggest you go ahead and try to limit the palette yourself by comparing the edit with yours, so you arrive at similar conclusions on your own. Usually it's much better a process for learning skills.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 11:27:57 am
Have to agree with Helmo on this one. As far as learning goes it would not be very beneficial. Try to get the colours on yours down to say 24 and then look if you can push it further by changing colours so that they are usable in multiple instances without losing any detail.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 07:07:36 am
Hey..  not to hijack.. but i've done a few of these!

The first one was based off the image from the intro to each episode, there's a shot of gutz walking away into the darkness. I had a really blurry download version of the episode but the image was so striking i pixeled one.

Anyway, by all means continue with derek's crits. I just wanted to wave :)

-Dan MacDonald