AuthorTopic: [C+C] 16 12-bit colors swordsman  (Read 9967 times)

Offline spektre

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] 16 12-bit colors swordsman

Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 12:08:15 pm
Latest animation draft, ready for some C+C except for the sword:

Video is really interesteing, the shield looks alot lighter than I imagined.
Yeah, they don't really seem like those brutes you get in a lot of popular culture, the weapons and gear is very agile and designed for tactics, at least according to Hammaborg's research (which I just recently learned from youtube, I'm far from an expert).

So it looks like when ur guy is walking he is not quite really ready to block, rather it looks like he is going for a walk with no enemies in sight.
I just don't know if that would look quite right if u r going to have zombies every where or do u have other ideas?
I guess I'm interested in how the game will play, the pace of it, the frequency of combat etc to be able to give feed back on wether the sprites are appropriate.
Maybe its an intentional part of ur control scheme that he automatically blocks when standing still?
You've got a point there, I have something in mind that you have a block key, and that you move a lot slower when blocking (using a different animation of course).  But I should think stuff through properly and plan more, I kind of just go along with what comes up right now.
It could look awkward being surrounded by zombies and not blocking with the current animation. On the other hand, even though it's a bad excuse, I think several games get away with rather casual walking animations.  Then again, it would be cool to top those.
I have done like one animation before, it's posted here on the forums, so there's a lot to take in during the process. Thanks for pointing out things I don't think about!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 10:55:13 pm
Mate I think that looks great though u should finish that before maybe some variations and see what works best.
 If nothing else, u should be able to use this animation for cut scenes and or if he is walking around a safe village or town.
I'm curious where this kind of warrior sheeths his sword? Not that u can probably afford a sheth on his leg, I'm just wondering though as it might also make a good animation.

U need to fix the arms on this though, they look good but should move opposite to the legs not along with them.

The block key slow walking is a great idea for it just to perform a basic defense against melee and projectiles, but after watching the video I just thought it would be cool if the default stance was semi-defensive looking so if u tap block at the right time against a melee attack u can do one those cool shield flip thingies and follow with a quick counter if u press attack.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:04:30 pm by Decroded »

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 07:33:16 am
from what i can see your leg animation is pretty solid, tho the colors do blend into the background of the forum a bit
but the arm has no swing to it, it just pushes back and forth with the leg, (which it shouldnt as Decroded said)