AuthorTopic: Need Critique - Pixel Chrome effect  (Read 6380 times)

Offline ALTER

• @#
    • View Profile

Need Critique - Pixel Chrome effect

on: March 29, 2009, 09:09:30 pm
i posted this on pixeljoint, they took it down saying i cant post stuff thats not done over there, and they sent me here.

I want you guys to critique the hell out of my work :crazy: Its supposed to have a Chrome/Mettalic Effect :D

The ones on the left are what I begun with, and the one connected to the red alien tentacle thing is the last one, and there is the pallette i used.

PS - I'm kinda  new to this kind of pixel art, I usually just make emoticons, nothing too detailed like some pieces i see here. So please if you use a psecial pixel art related word, tell me what it means.

Also, I', new to the site (???), I have read the rules, and I have read some of the questions in the FAQ. Can someone tell me what these forums are like and how i can get around and stuff :-[

Here is my work:

lol maybe try to squint your eyes a bit, it looks better with a white background
lol

Offline ALTER

• @#
    • View Profile

Re: Need Critique - Pixel Chrome effect

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:46:35 pm
how ocme no ones writing anything? please people, give me some feedback, and tell me if it looks good or not
lol

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 03:54:04 pm
Give it some time.  Valuable critique takes time to write, and do remember, it's a favor people will be doing you.  You don't demand favors.

For your sprite.  Look into hue shifting and anti-alaising.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:07:22 pm
Ah, you made it. So, the metallic effect is good so far. If you're really practicing shiny metallic surfaces though, why such a small object? Make something a little bigger with a great variety of surfaces. This makes me think of Boris Vallejo's amazing chrome characters. He's an old fantasy painter that developed the best shiny metallic chrome style I've ever seen. An example.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 05:16:50 pm
looks awesome so far,but cartoonish. idk if it's meant to be but it's cool anyway xD .
ENLARGE the work's size so you can use to do big cool stuff  :crazy:
Be Like no other

Offline ALTER

• @#
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:06 pm
Give it some time.  Valuable critique takes time to write, and do remember, it's a favor people will be doing you.  You don't demand favors.

For your sprite.  Look into hue shifting and anti-alaising.

I wasn't demanding, I was asking for favors.

I thought anti-alaising would beat the purpose of pixel art, but I'll look into it :)

And what is this "Hue Shifting" you speak of ??? As I have made clear in my main post, I'm pretty new to pixel art.
lol

Offline ALTER

• @#
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:35:45 pm
Ah, you made it. So, the metallic effect is good so far. If you're really practicing shiny metallic surfaces though, why such a small object? Make something a little bigger with a great variety of surfaces. This makes me think of Boris Vallejo's amazing chrome characters. He's an old fantasy painter that developed the best shiny metallic chrome style I've ever seen. An example.

Yup, Thanks for showing me this site :)

I thought I'd start small first, and if people thought it looked good, I would use the same technique with bigger pieces,  but if it looked bad I would have to change my technique first befor emaking bigger pieces. I was actually trying to  make a chrome effect during art class with pencil art, and I drew a couple of pieces in my notebook and then i had a go at it with pixel art.

Yes, That example you gave is VERY good. The guy must have studied alot to create something like that.It looks like the guy is drenched in mercury.
lol

Offline ALTER

• @#
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:47:02 pm
bump/MOARPLZ
lol

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:10:01 pm
Some advice for using this site, post more actual work to get more crit. Don't expect to limp along on the same stuff. It takes actual time to post critique, people are expected to heed the crit somehow, putting it to practice. And even more importantly, it looks like you need to research pixel art more in order to understand it. If you're earnest, GO HERE and spend some time getting to know pixeling. You'll know you're dedicated if you have the patience to start with the basics.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:13:53 pm
Yeah, since I'm in an awesome mood tonight I won't hand out strikes, but if you bump your own thread one more time, or post another useless one-liner, you'll get a strike.

It might seem harsh but this is a strictly moderated board, after all, and you'll soon find that if you take care to be patient within your own thread, and offer good critique for other members, you will have a nice time here on pixelation! Toodles!
' _ '