AuthorTopic: Game Design Theory Thread  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Game Design Theory Thread

on: December 06, 2009, 08:25:30 am
Hello pixelation,

Seeing as how pixel art and game-development are so often hooked at the hip, I figured we'd start a thread here to discuss game design theories and ideas.  There are many of us who make games as a hobby, professionally, or maybe you just think about game design sometimes.  The point is, there has probably been a time when you've thought about a really awesome idea for a game.  Use this thread to discuss and talk about these ideas, flesh them out, learn, and grow.  Obviously if you have a grand idea you baby and wish to keep for yourself - this is probably not the thread to use.  You can post your own idea, or give feedback on other's.

Keep in mind:
treat this thread as any other creative thread here - meaning, keep comments/feedback constructive and worth-while.

we'll see how well this picks up.  If it does, I'll sticky it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:10:54 am by Indigo »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Game Design Theory thread

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:25:37 am
Balloon-boy:

Type: Casual Game
Genre: Side view, verticle scrolling (mostly), shooter(ish) game

Premise:
The idea came to me pretty late as I was working on a freelance project.  I was trying to think of a game mechanic that would not treat game progression as a linear path, but rather a dynamic progression effected by how well you play the game.

Description:

The player is a character with a sort of helium-tank backpack.  The character uses the backpack to either inflate or deflate a balloon sprouting from the top.  The more helium in the balloon, obviously, makes the player go higher.  There is only so much helium available in the tank though - effectively capping how high a player can fly.  To get more helium a player must seek out other balloon-baddies, and using his hook-hose latch onto them and deflate them of their helium.  Once the helium has been depleted from the baddie's balloon, it finally pops all-together then he drops from the sky in a flailing panic.  Baddies can also do the same to you though, so be careful!  If your balloon pops, you can rely on your extra balloons (essentially a 'lives' mechanic) to save your butt.  As you start to fall, you can start inflating a new balloon- slowing, then eventually stopping your descent (hopefully before you hit the ground :P).  The helium already in the inflated balloon also slowly drains (like you would expect a balloon to do) - this prevents a dormant player and keeps things active on-screen.  Items are contained in floating crates which are tied to a stringed balloon.  These crates may contain more balloons (lives), or possibly powerups or coins.  To obtain the items, the player uses his hook to grab the crate.  If you miss and hit the balloon instead, the crate will fall to the ground - not good.

The 'altitude' you achieve is effectively the score of the game.  Every time you lose helium and drop, that will set you back - Could be as little as a few meters, or as much as the beginning of the level again.

Problem areas:
Depending on how depthy the scope of the game, is the environment could be as simple as repeating clouds in a blue sky, to something more complex such as visually distinct stages.

Example of stages:
Ground stage - streets, houses, cars, etc.
Skyscraper stage - tall buildings, lots of windows, cranes, etc
sky stage - lots of clouds and such
upper atmosphere - between sky and space.  starting to see stars
space - planets, stars, nebula, etc.

Floating platforms would also be interesting.  It could provide the player with the need to completely deflate his balloon and walk around a bit.  This could be to collect things, or maybe to save at a checkpoint.  more dynamic, but I can see some problems arising from this

Enemies are also a bit of a rough area.  Different types of enemies would be nice, but I can't quite think of many ideas that would make sense game-wise.  Maybe a projectile-shooting enemy rather than one that hooks onto your balloon.  Also, is there a way to fight off someone that has attached to your balloon?  Likewise- does a baddie have this same ability?  I need to think about this more.  Any ideas would help.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:12:54 am by Indigo »

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Re: Game Design Theory Thread

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:04:18 am
There's a game with an environment similar to this, though completely different gameplaywise: Balloon Duel

Linky

The idea is to pop opponents' balloons via landing on 'em, but there's upgrades such as projectile weapons which can do that for you. It's simpler than this (Cool) idea, but I immediately thought of it :)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:27:58 pm
I'm not thrilled with Balloon Duel there. Even the name is subpar. Though, I didn't get very far. I hate hastily drawn vector Flash graphics, especially typical animé ones at that. I also think the dimensions of the game are too small, everything is too tiny. What's up with the stupid fish at the bottom? And gaaahhh, those garish photopgrahic backgrounds, what extreme laziness wrought that creative decision? MUCH to complain about in BD, as a result I can't bring myself to spend, otherwise good, time on it.
I wouldn't worry about being a clone just due to BD.

I've noticed that folks here aren't real keen to gameplay mechanic disussions here themselves, just the art in the games.

But, I'm a huge fan of good gameplay. That's the true artform of the game, screw the art. If the game engine is created correctly the art is just a skin, it can be completely switched out and not affect the separate and independant gameplay concept. I hate to sound like a programmer, but it's true. Shiny graphics don't make a game playable. In my group, we have what we call our Raw Idea Factory (RIF) where anyone is free to post new ideas for games and develop them as far as they want with no fear of feature creep to bloat the scope since each RIF concept is a repository of thoughts that comprise the overall gameplay of the proposed game - the thinking is that if any one game concept can survive the scrutiny of a 'feasibility study' and seem like a good project, agreed on by all,  it may graduate to actual development someday.

Dan, I really like the basic idea you've got going so far. I think there's some good potential . . . but some thoughts arise:

I. VERTICAL MOVEMENT   While fighting your foe, you obviously need to manuever in every direction. How do you go up without gaining more helium? How do you go down without venting and losing your valuable helium (H), which you need to be able to go back up should you vent some?

A. Possible solution - an auto reserve tank (ART). This would store excess H, which will, to a degree, allow vertical movement by adding and taking away H from your balllon as necessary to make you ascend and descend. Also, should your ballon come under attack getting drained of it's H by an enemy the ART would kick in and keep your pressure equalized as long as it could, allowing you time to fight off the connected foe.

B. Possible solution - Why helium at all? Why not hot air balloons instead? With them, a gas powered flame creating heat makes the balloon rise and cutting the flame makes it fall, though both rising and falling. So here you have different equipment - gas storage (can you say "BOOM!!!"), the torch, perhaps even different levels of balloons you must obtain in order to withstand great heat necessary for fast ascension. You might even ditch the propeller for a little jet engine thruster. The propeller logically needs an engine, is it gas, is it electric, etc? Either way it runs off of a finite power source -  be it gasoline or a battery.

II. SPEED   However you handle vert movement, or just movement in general with balloons, any movement is very slow isn't it? What justifies these balloon riders moving fast enough to actually fight? Propellers? You have a propeller for lateral movement, but not for vertical in your concept sketches (which, dear lord, why didnt you scan and reduce to clean lineart, them snapshots are dirtay). If propellers are added to generate lift force, then why have balloons? Yet having the balloons is what makes this idea interesting. By all means the balloons must stay. Just pointing out an ironic twist, the type parodies are made of.

III. CONTROL   When you take on more helium (H), do you automatically rise, even against your will? As you suck the H from enemies, they will fall as you rise - how do you not get drug down with them and/or stay connected with your hose during? Does the ART regulate altitude?

IV. ENVIRONMENTS   Every stage idea you listed are identical to eachother; there's nothing different between them. What, the art? Sounded like each idea only constituted a different background look. Here's a few for ya, which knowing you, you've already thought of some but hey:

A. Obstacle & Hazards - We all know where I'm going with this, nearly every game has form of this. Here though, you may want to tailor the obstacle/hazard to the level's theme.
1. Sharp spikey popping hazards, one hit kill for mr. balloon. *POP*. Massize pointy razor spikes poking out at you. Natives throwing spears. Elves shooting arrows. Swinging guillotine blades.
2. Sharp beaked albatross fowl that fly across the screen (a fair warning may be necessary since the repurcussions of falling victim is so great, why not a peircing *CAAAHHWHWWWW* before it's appearance)
3. Gigantic killer huge stinger butt hornets that are pissed because you or your opponent destroyed their nest, or you accidentily burshed against and disturbed it - only the guilty party suffers the insect's justice, so hope your opponent runs into it and not you (trick him into running into it?).
4. Falling ice sicles. Angered snowmen throwing their carrot noses and snowballs.
5. Volcanic lava burped up from the lava pool ground, falling debris.
6. Volcanic updrafts shooting you up possibly into a popping hazard.
7. Timed interval laser triplines frying unfortunate balloon riders with poor timing.
8. Strategic button activated traps. Levers to toggle. Wall or floor plates to press that may unleash something undesirable upon a rider in the right place.
9. Gusts of wind to blow you around, making it hard to control yourself. Perhaps there's a jet stream at a certain altitude or random wind patterns, but always visible with particle trails indicating direction and speed.

B. Destroyable objects - Who doesn't love destroyable objects in a game?

C. Dimensions - Shape of stage. If the altitude translates to score (like adamatomic's Gravity Hook), or at least contributes to your score (to me, besting opponents seems a higher merit than simply going up, but then again going up requires you to defeat opponents so hmmm...) it does NOT mean each stage has to be a huge vertical corridor. I think, with the basic idea at play here, each level should be a generally vertical level, but not purely.
1. Narrow passages you have to fit through, etc.
2. Snake side to side
3. Horizontal segments. Perhaps you come to a horizontal entrance to a little arena room where your foe awaits, kinda like every boss battle in MegaMan. Enter in the left, beat the foe, an exit on the right opens up and then you continue upward.

D. Boundaries - Like Balloon Duel, in the post above, or even the old school Defender games, or Pacman, can you go out the left side and pop out in the right side? Or are there boundaries/walls you hit. If in a cavern, you'd brush up against the rockmass cavern walls. If ascending into the sky do you have invisible boundaries at the side of the screen prevengin you from passing through?

E. Platforms - I like this idea, it's dynamic, but it comes with complications. First of all it's a huge scope inscreaser. You're now implementing a platformer genre into this, whereas, before it was just a sort of side scroller, albeit an already complex one. Reminds me of Master Blaster for NES. Is this really necessary? Are these platforms just for holding powerups, which could easily be available just floating around? When you lose your last balloon and fall, what happens if you land on a platform? Game over anyway? What if you get marooned on a platform with no way to get off, no helium?

As for programming, this game will have high demands in the areas of collision detection, physics and AI. Can you handle that?

The one-on-one combat, free-flying movement basis reminds me of Hammerfight. It uses very accurate physics, especially what feels like centrifugal force to swing a mace around to bash your enemies. Very fun. There may be inspiration in that to come up with a way to defend yourself. (while searching for a good hammerfight video I found this gem . . . maybe Jad can explain it, I thought it was pretty amusing)

Just some thoughts on the matter, hope some are useful.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:41:45 pm by Mathias »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:18:17 pm
Sweet, looks like I sufficiently killed this thread! HAIL FEATURE BLOOOAAAAT!!!!

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:54:39 pm
Nope - sorry for not responding yet.  I've been planning to make a depthy response, though things have been crazy with freelance and the holidays.    I'll get to this soon :)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:46:12 pm
Nope - sorry for not responding yet.  I've been planning to make a depthy response, though things have been crazy with freelance and the holidays.    I'll get to this soon :)

Oh I knew you wouldn't abandon it; just messing with you. -Look'n forward to it-

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:44:53 pm
I've been sitting on this idea for awhile but I still think it would be really fun. It started off when I was playing Spelunky and the idea of treasure hunters like Indiana Jones and I got to thinking about the traps they might have to endure to get their treasures. Probably the most common trap is falling debris. I thought about falling and Tetris popped into my head. So I thought imagine an action platformer game where the landscape is generated by falling Tetris pieces.

(the blue thing is supposed to be an enemy and the thing to the left of that is a chest... I have no idea why there is an egg. I lost my notes lol)
Here's a really quick mock-up I had made which I'm not really pleased with, I kind of want to make the resolution larger and maybe add more playing field horizontally. Re-arrange the UI because I don't think the treasure area need to be on the main screen or at least that large.

Anyways, the game would start off with a base setting along the floor with a treasure somewhere along the floor (maybe buried). The character will descend a rope that comes down from the top and have to avoid things on the way down. Upon reaching the ground and grabbing the treasure the trap sequence starts and tetris pieces start to fall. I thought the basic tetrominos would be kind of boring so I'm thinking of adding various other shapes as well as different materials like Steel or dirt (which you could dig through) Rock, Water, Lava (which would melt through weaker materials), Explosives (which would destroy the landscape) or Heavy steel (or something, something that would crush the landscape), enemies, other treasures etc. Once you reach the entrance at the top and escape I had an idea to make a boss, I'm unsure if i want to do this though. There would be different settings depending on which level you are, you could be descending into a volcano, or sneaking into an Arabian castle, or maybe descending into a glacier in Antarctica. The bosses and enemies would reflect which area you are in. The skill level of the tetris "Player" would improve as you progress maybe you might have to challenge someone this good! (maybe not that good but somewhere close, slow enough that you can still understand where it is going. Though I also like the idea that if you are a knowledgeable Tetris player, you could avoid someone playing like this because you can understand where they would try to place them.)

Something I am unsure about is how random I want the play field to be. I like the idea of randomly generated stuff but in this type of a game it might get annoying and I'd like to be able to determine the challenges put forth. I also want the falling blocks to spin and follow the player to an extent at least in later levels which might make a predetermined level layout messy and uncompletable. I've been thinking of whether the A.I. should try to fill in every little space like a Tetris player would or if it should just put things where I would think it would be more of a challenge to the user.

Some items you would have to help you escape? A rope with a hook on it to swing (ala Umihara Kawase)on or hook to a cliff and climb up. A gun or knife, a pick axe or shovel and some kind of minor explosives.

I also think it would be incredible fun for 2 players, one player escaping and one player playing tetris.

I think I had some other ideas I came up with for this but I lost my original notes, if I find them I will update this. Do you guys think this could play out well? I don't usually show my ideas to anyone so it would be awesome to get some feedback. I've got a couple of different game ideas, but I don't want to overwhelm this thread with my stuff lol.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:00:40 pm by Jakten »

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 09:01:04 pm
That sounds like a great idea jakten. I would definately play that if it ever came to be, which I hope it will.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:44:24 pm
I stopped at 
imagine an action platformer game where the landscape is generated by falling Tetris pieces
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/522276
You have to try this I think.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 11:15:16 pm
Thanks Lizzrd :D The only problem I really have is I have very little programming experience. I've been trying to learn games maker though.

@Photocopier Yeah, I remember seeing that a week or so ago and was thinking "dammit someone beat me to it" but its a lot different than my idea in a lot of ways.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:33:20 pm by Jakten »