AuthorTopic: [WIP]Character (Feedback and Help please)  (Read 8192 times)

Offline Kamillo

• View Profile

[WIP]Character (Feedback and Help please)

on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:44 am
Thanks for all help!

/update:

Greetings Kamillo
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:51:33 am by Kamillo »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: [WIP]Character (Feedback and Help please)

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:50 pm
Personally I like your idea. Run cycle is good, but maybe you could add couple more frames to make it very smooth and give his arms and ears more freedom.

I like that in your idle animation he swings his arms like he is bored and cheerful at the same time. :) In idle his ears are getting longer in some frames which is bad.

As for the character overall, some colors are to similar so you can try to to increase contrast to fix that.

I hope that this will get this tread started cause there are some good ideas here. :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:01:20 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:49:59 pm
Was this at all inspired by Little Big Adventure (Relentless)? Because it really reminds me of that game.

I'm not very good with sprites or animation, but I feel like you could add more contrast to his clothing. Is there any particular reason why you want his face blank? You could add so much character with a single pixel representing his eyes (blinking now and then) or his nose (moving up and down when sniffing the air).

Offline Kamillo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 06:17:05 pm
@HarveyDentMustDie thanks i add two more frames to the run animation i think its smoother now.
i need a bit time to work on the ears at the idle animation. :/ but thanks for the feedback.

@cels i really dont know that game, never heard anything about it.
the reason for this design is the concept art of the game it should be really simple and a bit 8bit stylish. ;)

here is a update/

thanks for the feedback :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:54:33 am by Kamillo »

Offline Coltrane

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:14:07 pm
I really like your sprite design !
I think you should work on the left arm in the run animation, it's too floppy how it is now.
I also cleaned your palette (and changed it because i didn't like the greens).
Seen you saved in .jpeg format. It's better to use .gif or .png with pixelart.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:08:42 pm
I agree with Coltrane, your color pallet is not so good. It's kinda hard to watch.
From the start I imagined your character will be moving trough some urban area, which will make him stand out. This way it's to regular and obvious. I don't know your game idea, but I would like to hear your concept. It will be easier to comment your work.  :)

Offline Kamillo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 05:33:10 pm
thanks for your feedback, here is a quick update some characters and a bit from my story.

Its a Action RPG 2D Platformer a MetroidVania Game. ;)

The story is set in a fictional medieval style like Monster Hunter on a flying island paradise and tells of a young rabbit will grow up and want to explore other flying islands.

i hope i can get more feedback, thanks :)

Offline Xedrai

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:34:32 pm
Love the character style!
Though wouldn't the bow on the archer have reversed colors? I get more of a fishing rod vibe from it now ???

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:10 pm
By carefully choosing color pallet you could improve your character readability and overall impression. This is example of good sprites made with style similar to yours. Overall color tone is grayish but you'll get the point -> https://31.media.tumblr.com/73911c3cd7d58596be318f3c67aa580a/tumblr_inline_n13rdx7xvR1rn6c88.png

Your orange/dog/blacksmith character is kinda hard to read, cause his paws and nose have very similar colors, as well as his ears and his hammer. You should make him a bigger, and more muscular, and change his race to bulldog or something similar.

Enchantress looks interesting, but her arms are a little weird.

You should think very carefully about character race, type and their part in the story. In Disney movies like Robin Hood(1973) every animal have specific part based on its characteristics. You could choose wolves, foxes or boars for enemy characters, cause the rabbit is the main one. Try to make it playful and interesting, cause that will sell the game.

PS For character presentation it's best to use some neutral gray as a background color.

Offline Coltrane

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:44:51 pm
Hi. I reworked 4 of your sprites because of colors issues that bugged me. Also, i have to admit, i really like your first sprite but these new ones seem a bit rough. I think, you could have worked more on them before posting them.
I reinterpreted 3 of them (didn't really work on the robin hood archer because i can't feel it, it's too cliché for my taste). Hope that will give you some ideas.
Keep up the work on these fellas.