AuthorTopic: Mountains! [WIP]  (Read 7534 times)

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Mountains! [WIP]

on: December 21, 2008, 10:30:34 pm
hey guys, im trying to get better at pixel art, so im making some mountains. they are top-down rpg-perspective (i hope :P).
FINAL:

OLDEST:

what do you guys think? c + c is GREATLY appreciated, as i need lots of help!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 05:54:04 am by fortunato »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Mountains! [WIP]

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:55:00 pm
First off, here's the image while working:

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 01:24:52 am
whoops, fixed.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:17:36 pm
Omfg, fortunato? The one that I know? Haha. Nice to see you here.

Anyways, I love the odd choice of colors, feels very hot, like it would be used in a desert.

Anyway, your mountain looks blobby, the top is pretty well, but the sides are one flat color, and stick out maybe a bit too far. (left/right sides)

I would start by defining some shapes on the sides, giving it some detail, light rocks and dark rocks, cracks, holes, etc.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:47:12 am
Omfg, fortunato? The one that I know? Haha. Nice to see you here.

Anyways, I love the odd choice of colors, feels very hot, like it would be used in a desert.

Anyway, your mountain looks blobby, the top is pretty well, but the sides are one flat color, and stick out maybe a bit too far. (left/right sides)

I would start by defining some shapes on the sides, giving it some detail, light rocks and dark rocks, cracks, holes, etc.
haha yeah its me dude, nice to see ya.
i took your advice and heres what it came out like:

what im trying to do is make them tile and function like the mountains in the pokemon games. so i want to be able to make a base mountain (one tile high) then add this mountain on top, and however many mountains i want. heres how its split up:

anyway, c+c on the newer mountains please! im especially proud of the top part of the dirt <3

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 01:25:31 am
It looks really great, unique retro-ish style. I guess you could use an extra highlight and/or shadow, but it's fine as it is, and definitely not required.

But if you say you wanted it tiled like you do, then, I propose making a seperate version of the top 3 tiles, moving them down, if you wish to eliminate the gap.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:39:29 am
It looks really great, unique retro-ish style. I guess you could use an extra highlight and/or shadow, but it's fine as it is, and definitely not required.

But if you say you wanted it tiled like you do, then, I propose making a seperate version of the top 3 tiles, moving them down, if you wish to eliminate the gap.
thanks man. im not really sure what you mean though; do you mean like moving them down so there isnt a giant slab of dirt?

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 05:07:29 am
Make it so that the top border is at the bottom, or closer to the bottom of the tile.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 02:41:53 am
Hey, right now you're not really paying attention to the texture of your cliffs/mountains. I'd say they look more like cliffs- in that case, you should really look into texturing them a bit better. Also, pay attention to colors, as they provide a great deal of how your image will end up.

Here's a quick edit. I edited just the left corner- it's what I'd do!  :y:

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 04:36:58 am
omg, thats so much better than mine! the texture thing is so true; i got a little lazy :P. but how do you pick those colors so well? i tried to follow this tutorial: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=922.0 and i sort of understood it, but not really (obviously haha). could you clarify a bit on how to pick such nice colors?