AuthorTopic: Desert Sidescroller Mockup  (Read 2492 times)

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Desert Sidescroller Mockup

on: April 16, 2007, 01:39:10 am
   I'm working on stuff to extend my portfolio.  This is my second set of side scroller graphics.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys think about the anti aliasing on the green circle on the right?  Are there some other things I could add to make it more interesting in general?  I also haven't done a lot of huds, what do you think of the health bar and the item display on the right?

C&C

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Desert Sidescroller Mockup

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:09:23 am
I think this looks pretty good, I like your colour choices. My first glance issues with this would possibly be that the floor tiles seem too repetative, vary the rock sizes, possibly add an extra tile or two..

I think the props look great, the background works well. nicely pixeled.

sprite could use some work, seems a bit outta place.

lookin good tho.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Desert Sidescroller Mockup

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 02:40:01 am
I really like the colors in this piece, very lively.

I feel that the hud doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the picture. Same goes for the character. Everything else is very bright and cheerful and unique, where as the hud and character look rather uninspired. The AAing on the green circle kind of hides the fact that it's a circle. It looks more like a stop sign/octagon to me.

The tiles look a bit repetitive, as Terley said. Perhaps you can create a few variations to tile together. They also lack depth. the highlighting/shading looks to be more of a pattern than highlighting/shading. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it looks like it's struggling to find it's place.

The background mountains do a good job of showing depth though. Perhaps you can use some techniques from the mountains on the foreground stuff. The clouds look cheerful bt kind of like boulders. Maybe go for some softer colors or maybe softer definition.

Overall it's a pretty good piece though.