AuthorTopic: Tree environment  (Read 2109 times)

Offline TheFox

• View Profile

Tree environment

on: August 19, 2016, 08:38:48 pm
Critique away, first piece. focusing on readability and composition.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Tree environment

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:12:40 pm
Looks good. Not a whole lot going on though, it's just a tree and some vines up against the camera with a lot of empty space between.
It helps to draw the eye to the big tree, but it also makes it kind of dull to look at without more details to focus on. Petals dancing on the wind could help with this if kept muted enough, keep that eye draw while also mediating the empty space problem.

Also, not sure how the tree's foliage works, looks like a cross section right now because the blue doesn't overlap the branches anywhere by the looks of it.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline TheFox

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:23:50 pm
Thanks, I ran out of ideas for the foreground so I'll give leaves/petals a go. The blue is just sky behind the tree, maybe that isn't very clear?

Offline TheFox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:52:54 pm

updated. Feels a bit better

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 09:59:52 pm
Thanks, I ran out of ideas for the foreground so I'll give leaves/petals a go. The blue is just sky behind the tree, maybe that isn't very clear?
Aye, the lack of feathering around the edges of what I'm assuming are clouds makes it look more like blue foliage.
I actually reccomend making it that though, the tilt of the tree gives it a really nice sense of vertigo.
I was planning on putting an example picture of the concept, but unfortunately despite spending about 45 minutes looking for it I could not find it. Ergo, I've shoddily recreated it in MS paint:

It was a panel from the webcomic homestuck, if anyone can tell what the panel I mean is. What's important to note is how they curved the radio tower (that thing on the left) to curve over the character looking up at it to give it a kind of sense of vertigo to it. It's a really solid stylistic flourish and one that can really help drive home a sense of scale.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline TheFox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:40:04 pm
Ah, yah i get what you mean. I'll probably do that for a different environment, probably too much work to fix the scale issue. Thanks though, your suggestions have been helpful.