AuthorTopic: Female Character Sprite  (Read 9758 times)

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Re: Female Character Sprite

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:08:47 pm
wow helm that's awesome!! i watched the whole video and I learned a lot from it. Thanks!

And my attempted:

I'm very uncomfortable dithering, but I decided to take a crack at it. I also got my color count down to 16!  I haven't got to those hands yet.

Please C+C!!  ;D

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 08:02:50 pm
From what I saw in the video, I believe Helm mainly dithered on the jeans and scarf to imply texture of denim and what is probably yarn, and accomplished this through low contrast shifts.  The dithering on your shirt looks forced and turns the texture from red cotton shirt to more of a dodgeball like appearance.  It looks okay on your jeans and scarf.

The hair also lost its luster from the brightest highlight being much darker.  To avoid having the highlight of this color on the skin from being too strong, you could either use a different shade of the hair and alter it to double as a skin highlight, or use few pixels to have a specular highlight instead.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 08:05:27 pm
Yeah you need closer shades to do dithering without it being too grainy. Space out the values of the blues in the jeans/scarf more evenly. Right now the highlights are too separated, and the two middle blues basically the same color. Can you see it?

About selout, are you aware of this term? Why do you use selout, what are you trying to achieve with it?

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 09:53:20 pm
I just found out what selout meant.(It's where you don't fully draw the outline, right?) I guess it's just the way I worked. Do you suggest I take it out?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 09:54:56 pm
Depends on how it looks to you. If you are going to have a specific color for the background and the selout is just anti-aliasing towards that color, that's fine. But if you plan to have the piece be background color independent, with transparency, then I suggest you look into alternate methods. Search for 'selout' in Pixelation, actually.

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 01:15:31 am
sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been busy and debating whether I should put in a background or not. I decided not to because when I tried to create one, I descovered how bad I am at making backgrounds.
alright, dithering on shirt is gone, I brightened the hair, and for the selout, I'm not exactly sure where it is. I tried to take away any that I found, but I have a feeling I was unsuccessful.