AuthorTopic: FREE! Calibration/ Girl WIP issues  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

FREE! Calibration/ Girl WIP issues

on: October 11, 2007, 03:52:59 am

reference

Main concern: Too dark? Lots of people on MSN say so...I need to figure out a good way to keep the brightness straight on a laptop screen...
Other concern: Face-likeness?

Everything else I really wasn't ready do post and get comments about, but what ever--rip me a new one.  The colors are nothing like I intended the finished product to have...was going to go from greys first and add colors for a more emotional feel...and the lip color is just to distinguish from those greys. I guess this will need a overhaul of sorts.

PS: I'd try to be more consice/coherent but I'm really dizzy for some reason :S
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Gelsamel

• View Profile

Re: FREE! Calibration/ Girl WIP issues

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:20:13 am
Should be brighter I think, but depending on how you do the surroundings you could pull it off at that darkness.

Likeness: Her eyes need to be more "tired" looking then they are in yours.

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 04:36:31 am
Hey, Rydin.

For starters, I think you've chosen a nice pic, and although I don't think it's possible to give precise tips as it's yet unfinished, I'll try:
I think it's too noisy for a work with this proportions... the skin is looking like sand paper or similar.
And it is too dark IMHO. Even if you choose to give it a darker tone, I would pick lighter grays. And take a look at your reference pic. See how the skin has really low contrast if compared to the other stuff? Yup. That's a skin property. ;)

As for the face-likeness I think it's still too early to tell.

Looking forward to see it ready!

-Stefano

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:47:30 pm
try a little less dither, its looking rather busy right now.
untz untz untz?

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 11:04:12 pm
I agree it's a very interesting and lovely picture to study because there is so much you have to consider with this, most people find it hard to draw (in this case pixel) women becuase the amount of care that has to go into the femininity, especially with children theres a fine line between the likeness boy and girl. It's so easy to accidently make a young girl look too old, masculine etc. Theres also the likeness of an oriental to take into consideration. I like what you've got so far, there are some good traces of observation but still a lot still that could be improved on.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't make sense atall, because there's a lot going on it this  :-[

I don't think you're making most of your reference picture, in terms of positioning, posture and lighting you're pretty much on the right tracks but the use of your shades seem to be more of a device to add depth to this than it has of being true to what actually occurs. Your character looks like a young black girl rather than an asian, it's because your tones become dark so rapidly with any shadow of contours. You can afford to be much more suttler and use you're darker shades more for key contrasts which make the image easier for readability.

Hope you don't mind I worked on this for about half an hour to show you what I mean.

With the face firstly, there isn't anything too complicated going on, so there's no need for overshading it.. maybe slight dithering to help bring out the shape of her face but it's should look clean and smooth, your dithering on such contrasted tones just adds an unwanted texture.. Also I don't think theres any need for the near-to-white tone on her face because it only makes her look shiney.

I do think using some Aliasing techniques on this is essential because it will make this overall look much smoother and you can trick the eye into seeing details such as stray hairs and especially making the eyes look much more believable.

With the clothing you should really again keep the heavy dithering with the darker tones to a minimum and concentrate on what you actually see.

I tend to start with the lightest shade with lighter areas and work on the darker shades one by one, and the opposite for the darker areas. The hair for example I'd advice you start with the black and add on lighter shades.

I tried to add in the legs roughly, and quick backdrop from the reference, dnno why im sure you won't focus on the bg but it'd make more sense to the viewer.

Also I think you're palette need re-adjusting, I found two of the darker shades were just a bit too close and two of the middle ones were too far apart, im sure it would't take long to fix and it'd be much easier for you to use.

Im not going to atempt the forearm and hand, because I won't pretend Im any good at their anatomy so hopefully someone else could give you some direction.

Help atall?

-Ter
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 02:50:08 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 05:23:00 am
Thank you all for the comments...I've got lots more to take into consideration now than what I originally had intended.  I really wanted to achieve a deep...chiaroscuro-y look...and I was going for more of an impression than a replication; saying that now though makes it seem like I'm trying to fight criticism :P.
But yeah, seeing a soft, more actual version really helps the whole frail look she has...I was only going to portray that with her shape (which is hard to tell with the thick wrist right now :P) but the soft shading seems to be a good route.
So, I'm going back into my cave to pixel on this hardcore....expect to see a revamp of this in like.....a couple months :P. *goes off into cave*

Thanks again for the comments.  :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.