AuthorTopic: [wip] My Hunter  (Read 9712 times)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Re: [wip] My Hunter

Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 07:37:09 am
I noticed the melding and I'm trying to fix it but I'm having a hard time doing so without making something look bulky or just..off.
Update:
I changed up the colors a bit, to see if I could get better contrast. This little bugger is hard to get right! I guess it's just all about learning new techniques, of which I have many to learn.

Offline Trub

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 09:40:05 am
Also have a close look at EyeCrafts changes and why he has done them (I am speaking from experice here). Your yellow belt is too circular plus it looks like its not attached. Your legs look a little awkward (though this is under close scrutiny). The folds and shading make his sprite more defined and relistic. Increase the contrast. Also compare the colour count if your worrying about the size of file and stuff like that. Hope this is helpful.

Offline turfsurfer

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 02:56:22 pm
Just to avoid confusion, she did not draw that image herself, it's official art from a game called Torchlight.

Aah, well that changes things, I guess just keep saturation in mind for what its worth then.

I do agree with what trub is saying about the legs though, it looks like his knees are knocking together because of the placement of the highlights under his belt, they probably also look a little odd because they are the only part of the sprite that is a flat color with a solid outline, you might be able to use some of the darker shades from the hair to add some depth without expanding your color palette.

I did a quick and not very good edit to try and show what i'm talking about:

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 09:02:35 pm
Wow it's been a while since I posted...
Eyecraft's suggestions were vital. I suppose I should've mentioned, however, that he isn't meant to be wearing pants...or at least you can't see them. He's wearing a tunic. I *tried* to shade it this time around to make that show through, but I'm not sure if i succeeded  :-\
Update:
I also tried to add more depth to the picture by adding some more blue between the arms and such. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 07:17:13 am
So, we decided to try going a little different direction for the hunter guy. We're making him (and the game, probably) a little bit bigger, and we're trying more of a different style. So I edited this sprite to look a little more...different? It's hard to describe. I made him taller and changed the shading, and made him have boots instead. He actually looks almost completely different IMO.
Updated guy:
So that thing in the middle of the torso going down to the legs is like a sash thing (like the guy from torchlight has) and there's stitching. But I think the stitching looks weird and I can't figure out how to do it right  :-\ Also, I think his arms look too much like he's wearing a snow suit, and I'm not quite sure how to fix them.
Anywayyyys  :) As always I'm asking for critiques and comments and any advice anyone can give on this. Thanks!

EDIT:
Here's another change I did, just to update the pose a little bit. I shortened his legs more to make it look more...balanced? It looks more like what I'm going for, I think.
Updated:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:43:02 am by freespyryt »