AuthorTopic: [wip] My Hunter  (Read 9708 times)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Re: [wip] My Hunter

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 06:48:06 am
7321551: My boyfriend suggested we do the 320x240 size, and we'll probably go with that. The things you sent me are probably about the level of detail I'll be working with. I'll probably end up doing that, Thank you!

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 07:17:53 am
Here's an update on the progress of my little man
Original:
Update:
I tried to make him less flat, and remove the arm sectioning, and I changed the colors to be less bright, but I still feel it could use improvement. As you can see I also changed the tunic, goggle, and hair colors around to get a feel for a different set of colors. Thanks again!

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 06:01:22 am
Try to stick to very simple and obvious pixel cluster shapes at this size sprite. Keep things in big, simple, readable blocks of colour. The hair for instance is noisy and doesn't read very well, same as the stuff happening on the chest of the tunic.

Also avoid working on a white canvas, it messes up your eye's judgement on contrast.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:47:02 am
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You really helped me figure out that hair. It's no perfect, but I think it's improved some
Original:
Update:
I also changed the collar a bit to make it more..swooshy? It fits around the face better. And the glasses are bigger than before. Anyways, continued suggestions are always helpful, and thanks again Eyecraft for the advice!

Offline turfsurfer

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 02:49:13 pm
Its just a thought, but right now your sprite has much bigger hair than your illustration, you might be able to get yourself some more space for detail in the body if you were to cut down the size of his hair. Personally I'm also a bigger fan of the less saturated colors in your original drawing, if you intend to include that blue glow at some point having a less saturated character will make it easier to have the blue pop and seem like its lighting up. Either way its coming along very nicely.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 03:08:28 pm
Its just a thought, but right now your sprite has much bigger hair than your illustration

It has a bigger head too, but it's absolutely normal. It's a small sprite so he needed to change proportions to make it more readable.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 01:25:03 am
Thanks for the suggestions! The reason I made it so big was because it's supposed to be a 3/4 view. I'm just experimenting with colors at this point, but i'll keep it in mind.
(And by the way, I'm a girl  :P)

BTW--There's an update! Any more suggestions are welcome as usual!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 02:23:38 am
Personally I'm also a bigger fan of the less saturated colors in your original drawing.

Just to avoid confusion, she did not draw that image herself, it's official art from a game called Torchlight.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 03:39:49 am
Oh my bad, I was assuming most people would know that it was from torchlight or a game of some kind  :-[ I didn't mean to imply that I drew the original. I just posted it from that game because that was the kind of look I was going for. Sorry!

Offline Trub

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 06:35:50 am
Your new version seems to have lost some of the contrast you had achieved before. Plus the neck/cape thingy is melding into arms which makes him look funnier. But great work, I'm fairly new to all this as well so I feel kind of connected to this thread?