AuthorTopic: [C+C] Pixel Art Beginner!  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Hebraico

• View Profile

[C+C] Pixel Art Beginner!

on: April 28, 2015, 07:41:59 pm
Hello! I'm a beginner in pixel art. I wanna make a game with my own art, so i started making some sprites 16x16.

I wanna know what you guys think about these ones i've made. Critics are very welcome.

Cheers and thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:28:15 pm by Hebraico »

Offline Poggles

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Pixel Art Beginner!

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 12:57:08 am
I'm afraid I myself can't offer much in way of critique, but I love your sprites. They're pretty damn charming. Anyway, I don't like the knight's hand. Now that I've noticed it, it keeps drawing my eye too it. It might be better to make it some color other than flesh tone since it's the only pink pixel on the entire sprite... But I'm a beginner myself, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt  :-\
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:14:06 am by Poggles »

Offline foundtimegames

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 01:26:08 am
Looks cool so far! Nice job keeping a small palette. Any particular reason why you chose 16x16?  And have you tried animating them yet?

Offline Telek

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 02:32:16 am
The second sprite reads a little weird, hard to tell exactly what the thing over his shoulder is right away.  A part of it is that your light source is the upper right, but the hilt is darkest in that direction.

Offline Hebraico

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 02:34:55 am
Thanks so much guys!

I'm afraid I myself can't offer much in way of critique, but I love your sprites. They're pretty damn charming. Anyway, I don't like the knight's hand. Now that I've noticed it, it keeps drawing my eye too it. It might be better to make it some color other than flesh tone since it's the only pink pixel on the entire sprite... But I'm a beginner myself, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt  :-\

I made the edit on the Knight's hand (i haven't seen that, thanks).

Looks cool so far! Nice job keeping a small palette. Any particular reason why you chose 16x16?  And have you tried animating them yet?

I chose 16x16 to start, because with less pixels I thought i'd have less trouble haha
I tried to make a walking animation for the archer:

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:47:47 am by Hebraico »

Offline Hebraico

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 02:36:41 am
The second sprite reads a little weird, hard to tell exactly what the thing over his shoulder is right away.  A part of it is that your light source is the upper right, but the hilt is darkest in that direction.

Got it, i'll fix that.
Thanks!

Offline foundtimegames

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 03:26:38 am
nice animation! I made my first characters 16x16 for the same reason. it made it easy to go to 32x32 later. Do you have any background story ideas for these characters?

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 06:35:03 am
It should be noted that this forum resizes images automatically when you click them. It's a lot easier if you upload them at their true size, particularly for people who might want to make an edit to the image to give you advice.
Eriophora Zia

Offline Hebraico

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 02:13:17 pm
nice animation! I made my first characters 16x16 for the same reason. it made it easy to go to 32x32 later. Do you have any background story ideas for these characters?
Not yet, just getting the hang of drawing pixels!

It should be noted that this forum resizes images automatically when you click them. It's a lot easier if you upload them at their true size, particularly for people who might want to make an edit to the image to give you advice.
I'm sorry, I'll do that in my other posts. Thanks!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 02:05:49 am
Thanks so much guys!

I made the edit on the Knight's hand (i haven't seen that, thanks).

I chose 16x16 to start, because with less pixels I thought i'd have less trouble haha
I tried to make a walking animation for the archer:

What do you guys think?

great sprites ur off to an excellent start  :y:

before going too far with animations I'd advise to mockup a  few backgrounds or if u dont have time, find screenshots of similar games to what ur aiming ( google images "game name png") and place ur sprites against various backgrounds that are light and dark etc. This will give u a good idea of the colour changes u need to prevent ur sprites getting lost against the background colours, or at least u will find some palette limitations for ur backgrounds.

for running animation its a good start but a general rule is not to delay the motion of separate pieces so they don't all change at the same frame.
the hair is most noticeable problem as it changes same time as body moves up and down causing a "flicker" effect.

I did a similar simple animation recently u can study to see the delayed motion in effect.
feel free to copy how its done (its a very "common" anyway) just dont get upset when u see my knight having a helmt plume more like yours because my latest iteration looks more like that (haven't posted updates in a while) :-P