AuthorTopic: angry head  (Read 3016 times)

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

angry head

on: March 26, 2009, 07:22:23 pm

I need some help on this, especially the hair but also the anatomy and general pixelling. The colors aren't final but all your suggestions are welcome.

It's just for practice in case anyone is wondering, but i am considering using a portrait like this in a top-down shooter just like they did in the old Wolfenstein.

Thanks

EDIT:

i'd forgotten to add teeth:

so yeah, crit the teeth also
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:48:31 pm by xbogx »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: angry head

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:50:38 pm

You could get more work out of your middle blue hue if you lightened it and saturated it a bit.
Plus you can use the white from the teeth as a fourth value in the skin to add depth and POP.
The cheek bones seem overboard to me; too chiseled and defined.  But maybe that's perfect for an action game.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:53:43 pm

Tried to make the light source a bit more dramatic, hope you find my edit useful.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:27:48 pm
Doing an edit off of Rydin's edit now, but I just noticed something-
21 colors?  How the hell did you manage that?  .jpg?

On the original and edits, I think you're missing out on a lot of depth, and overcomplicating the shading by adding wrinkles.  (Wrinkles are great!  Just don't forget the planes of the face.)  Bengoshia did a great job, although taking it in a different direction.  Pay attention to his lighting and shading.

Edit soon to demonstrate.  (Am I coming off assy by critiquing edits?  Sorry if so, it won't happen again.)

EDIT
Crits, then I'll show the edit.
Mostly for the mouth (which I was too scared to edit.) When I make that face, pulling what you've drawn now is very hard.  My top teeth overlap the bottom ones, so you only see the top; my lips make an upside-down 'D', not the '0' which you have.  Also, study lighting.  Faces are especially hard to light.  Just find some refrences.  Well done getting this far without one.

I've tried it, but historically I suck at drawing lips/mouthes.
Help me on this please, do point out any errors.

Anyway, here we go!

Ta daa!
Left the rights side as it was for contrast/because I was lazy.  Take what you will from my edit.  Added three colors, quick color reduction:

There you go.
Later,
Shrike
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:45:50 pm by Shrike »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:57:41 pm
My edit had 21 colors?  :(
I did it very fast in photoshop, so I wouldn't be surprised if I picked wrong colors here and there; I haven't bothered to work out how to save properly in photoshop since I reformatted last.

The point of my edit was to show what could be done just by changing the middle blue, extra colors aside.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:26:48 am
Wow i didn't expect so many edits, thanks a lot everyone! I was mostly looking for help on the hair like i said in the first post and wasn't planning to add a lot more depth since i was kinda happy with the flat look, but after seeing all your edits, i'm going to work on that also. Thanks!

UPDATE:

i'm still got no idea how to do the hair

also do the highlights look weird?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:52:09 pm by xbogx »