AuthorTopic: Harvest Moon Mockup  (Read 13483 times)

Offline Hyptosis

• Kill the blacksmith, that sounds fun.
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome

Re: Harvest Moon Mockup

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 02:57:11 am
Very nice stuff, too bad it isn't easy to make fun games like harvest moon, I'd love to do something like that. =D Or better yet some kind of online game with fun art like this! I'd play it all day long. =P
"Even a stopped clock gets the right time twice a day." -Orbital

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 03:26:51 am
Another updates. Some of the changes this time around:
-more contrasted palette(hope you don't mind Darien, but I really like the orange soil, so I tried to keep the colour preserved)

-little changes to the weed, rock, stump, and cracked earth tiles. The changes on the grass and stump were to make them tile better. The stump now uses 15x15 of the 16x16 area so that if a stump tile lies adjacent to another tree tile, none of the pixels rub together. The grass had one length of grass that connected to the tile beside it, take a look at the past version to see it.

-redid the tomato to fit in with the outlined style.

-small changes to the base sprite to improve the look of the skinny version. I think I'm going to stick with the fat version from her on. I don't know why, but I love looking at that big ol' gut.

-turned earth tile changes

-made some other changes I can't think of right now.

Darien: Tried to apply your crits. I've made a couple different turned earth(TE) tiles for you to look at. What direction do you want to see the TE tile go in? Do you want something that looks much cleaner, or would you rather see a more messy and disorganised dirt clump. I kinda like the TE tile in the middle of the bottom row, the ones beside the 2x2 cracked earth.

Thanks for all the C&C so far, guys.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 02:05:06 pm
Great piece, it's getting prettier and prettier. I wish I played Harvest Moon, hehe. You're mockup really juices up that thought.

There's something strange about the rocks though (especially th big one), they seem to shiny for rocks. And where the other tiles are seen from (almost-)above perspective, the rocks are viewed more from the side. That multiple perspectiveness is a mock-up killer, y'know.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 12:40:26 am
Great piece, it's getting prettier and prettier. I wish I played Harvest Moon, hehe. You're mockup really juices up that thought.

There's something strange about the rocks though (especially th big one), they seem to shiny for rocks. And where the other tiles are seen from (almost-)above perspective, the rocks are viewed more from the side. That multiple perspectiveness is a mock-up killer, y'know.
eep, I was thinking about the perspective at the start but must have gotten distracted or something. Here's an update plus I tried messing around with the tomatoes again..

I was addressing  it to Darien last time, but I'd like anyone's comments on which direction to head with the turned earth tile.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 02:41:50 am
looking good! Time to get the tiles into multimap? ;)
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 05:01:54 am
Yeah, I think you made the right call with the dirt. 

For the turned earth, I'm leaning toward that bottom one, too. I'm finding it hard to think of how I think it should be. I can't recall how they did it in the original Harvest Moon, maybe that could spark some ideas?  But the bottom one, I think, would work.  It's just... everything else is very clear and defined, but with that turned soil they just seems like vague blocks of darker dirt, you know what I mean?  It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest.

All the updates look great, too.  Especially the new rocks.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 02:31:54 pm
You seem to be working very hard on this, so I decided to to a grass-edit for you. Most newer games do not use one tile grass anymore, they usually use 2-4 (seiken densetsu 3 used 2 different grass tiles for example). I personally enjoy using 3-4 if I'm able to. Anyways here's two examples of grass: a clear version and a 'bushy' version.

simple:

bushy:

Here's a few things to keep in mind:
-99% of decent pixel grass follows the same 6 shapes/types of grass-blades (see if you can find them in my edits)
-every pixel of a tile does not need to be filled
-grass is never a perfect pattern unless its cultured/groomed/mowed
-multiple tiles lets grass look more natural and wild
-grass tiles are design to 'tile' only once (you create tile patterns using several tiles)
-ground tiles in general look better when they have smooth transitions (the grass gets tall then shorter)
-high contrast grass is *bad* it overpowers the picture because grass tends to take up the largest space

Also I realize my edits my be too detailed for what you're doing, but it should give you some ideas on how to improve your grass. (and of couse you can ignore all this because you didn't want your grass to be like that =P)

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 02:49:09 pm
That's great grass you have in your edit, Dhaos. Amazing. Looks really good. ;)
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 12:15:47 am
@Daos:  I don't much like the first edit you did, but the second one is awesome.  I definitely agree on the idea of having transition tiles too, looks much better

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 03:24:41 pm
what size are the tiles?

most games use 8x8px and then make 16x16px groups in the editor.

if you're planning on 4 16x16px grass tiles, that's 16 8x8px tiles, which could lead to some great variations if you have the time and patience for mapping.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!