AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Forest level  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Forest level

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 09:07:22 pm
Now don't get me wrong, it's fine to have an absolutely gargantuan stage as long as the clipping plane (the part of the stage visible during game play) is reasonable and there's a way to explore all that space. Your original idea would make sense if there were ways (and a purpose) for the player to get up there and explore all that space.

edit: clipping plane, not place
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:48:02 pm by Daimoth »

Offline Berserky

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:06:20 pm
Actually there is. My game is based around combat. Big stage will be needed because enemies will spawn randomly, and not just set in places patrolling ( but there will be some as well).
And of course the main reason are the spells ( or powers) which player wilds, and boss battles.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:40 pm
Then fuck it, just get to detailing the rest of the stage. Just make sure that your character sprites are appropriately sized given your the clipping plane. Also find a way to indicate that it isn't that your character is small like a rodent, but that the forest is fantastically large. For example, put some smaller (relatively speaking) trees in with the big ones.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:52:26 pm by Daimoth »

Offline Berserky

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 04:12:54 pm
Ah yeah that is pretty good advice but rodent sounds kinda insulting  :lol: ( kidding ), don't worry the part I am currently making is deep inside the forest at the beginning trees are smaller, and common enemies will be your size so I think that the player wont have a feeling that he is tiny.
PS take a look at risk of rain, stage is huge there.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 04:41:34 pm
Ok, good update. Probably wise to keep the 16:9 ratio.

The trees' stylization is interesting, but doesn't seem to match other elements.
You're doing an intentional low-poly lookin' thing with all 90's and 45's. You might relax the strictness your anglular lines a bit to match all the other more organically rendered stuff.
Consistent style can be tough sometimes.

Yep, as far as scale goes, one cool thing about keeping you player character size small is that you're now afforded the opportunity to give your levels a sense of grandeur, making them seem large and open.
If you get a working prototype or demo going, I'll be curious to see it in action.

Offline Berserky

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 04:54:41 pm
I agree that keeping style is pretty hard (at least for me ) but I'm thinking of using a bit straighter lines and "not too detailed" environment to avoid making it look retro. I don't mind retro but it isn't the style I want for my game. I know that it can be made very detailed and still look like "modern" pixel art ( like Wanella's pixel art which is my favorite), but I currently don't know how.
Gotta keep practising :).