AuthorTopic: [CC][NEWBIE] Game Boy Stone tile  (Read 4068 times)

Offline mauriciv

• View Profile

[CC][NEWBIE] Game Boy Stone tile

on: November 29, 2015, 03:02:30 pm
Hey guys! First post here.
I'm an ultra noob, and I decided to start learning pixel art with the Game Boy color palette.
So, I was following this tutorial http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2012/03/01/designing-a-retro-pixel-art-tile-set/ and I'm stuck.
I just don't know how to make effective lighting, I don't know where each pixel should go.
Any advice you could give me?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:35:37 pm by mauriciv »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: [CC][NEWBIE] Game Boy Stone tile

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:40:10 pm
I think it's too easy to see the edges. (The big stone on the edges makes it too easy to see)
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline mauriciv

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:04:30 am
You're right, I didn't notice that.
I tried fixing it, and also added some dithering, what do you think?

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:30:49 am
I think it's way better now! Although having it in a context would help
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline mauriciv

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:38:13 am
Well, I don't really have any context for it yet, I'm literally just starting out  :lol:
Thank you so much!

Offline spO_oks

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 04:05:06 pm
I think you did a pretty good job first time round, and the dithered version also looks good, but I can still see where each tile is, due to the two big stones that you have and the bigger highlights they have, I tried a version making the highlights smaller and adding multiple smaller highlights to the same stone, I think it's kinda helped lose the grid.

The lighting you've done looks good for a top down type of light source, so I'm imagining it more as a floor tile rather than a wall, if it was a wall and it was lit by the sun or an overhead light, I would shift the highlights towards the top of each stone.

Your version on the left + highlights of what I tried to improve

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:17:02 pm
try to control the clusters better (the shape of groups of pixels of same colour)
lots of clusters with single pixels or thin strings of pixels hanging off them which gives a rough unfinished look that is also distracting (rocks shouldn't take attention from gameplay).

Offline mauriciv

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:43:14 am
I think you did a pretty good job first time round, and the dithered version also looks good, but I can still see where each tile is, due to the two big stones that you have and the bigger highlights they have, I tried a version making the highlights smaller and adding multiple smaller highlights to the same stone, I think it's kinda helped lose the grid.

The lighting you've done looks good for a top down type of light source, so I'm imagining it more as a floor tile rather than a wall, if it was a wall and it was lit by the sun or an overhead light, I would shift the highlights towards the top of each stone.

Your version on the left + highlights of what I tried to improve

You're right, after reading your comment I could see the grid too, I didn't know big highlights makes it easier to see the grid.
Thank you!

Offline mauriciv

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:48:02 am
try to control the clusters better (the shape of groups of pixels of same colour)
lots of clusters with single pixels or thin strings of pixels hanging off them which gives a rough unfinished look that is also distracting (rocks shouldn't take attention from gameplay).

I see, so just for clarification, are you talking about the size of the rocks? or the dithering? or maybe both?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 12:55:27 am
Sorry wasn't very clear. mainly in reference to the highlights and the way the pixels are joined. the edges of the clusters have rough single pixels and for shapes that are displeasing to my eyes.

first step is to smooth them out a bit then u can look at restricting edges to mostly straight and 45 degree lines.

There are other things to talk about but that seems most urgent for u to learn.