AuthorTopic: Return of the Kraken  (Read 7930 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Return of the Kraken

on: March 29, 2007, 08:32:41 pm
Enough unfinished WIPs from me, and half-finished pieces sitting on my computer for months.  I'm finishing this one.  A sequel to "Kraken Vs. Vikings", it takes place quite a bit later, and the Kraken has grown up a bit.  This is most definitely a WIP.

First draft:

Most recent update:

Comments and crits plz n thnx.  Suggestion very welcome.

EDIT: Box containg "Cure" will be text box at the end, btw.  And the piece was made by scanning an original drawing then reducing the size and messing with the threshhold to get some scrappy lines, then cleaned up a bit and jumped into coloring.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:49:18 am by Cure »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Return of the Kraken

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:01 pm
Just some quick crits...

-where's your lightsource?
-the cabin on the larger boat seems to be very crooked and out of perspective. The same applies to the tip of the kraken's head.

That's all I got for now. The captain will look pretty sweet I can tell. Although that expression doesn't seem a fitting reaction to a kraken attacking his ship.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 08:50:31 pm
At the moment I'm not sure whether this is a captain telling the story in a pub, or actually taking place in the event.  As for the lightsource, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure.  I'd imagine the sky would be illuminated by the lightning in many ways.  I'll definitely have to work that out.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:34:37 pm
Before you start getting in too deep with the shading, why not think about some blue secondary lighting on the wet kraken from the lightning.  That will look so awesome.

This is gonna be your best piece yet.. i can feel it!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 10:41:05 pm
i agree. if youre not going to add any more colors to the primarely red part of the ramp then youre going to need as much interest in that huge space of the kraken as you can get.

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 01:54:52 pm
Hehe can't wait to see the new adventures..
so far difficult to critic, everything seems to bright and saturated right now for a stormy day.. the lighting on the kraken comes from opposite side of the lightnings..
otherwise I like the portrait already and the lines of the kraken!  :y:

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:52:40 pm
yes, speaking of water....

I think it would be nice with water dripping from Kraken and a waves, lots of waves would be excellent  :)

and probably make the whole thing a bit darker and the light maybe should have a more lightning yellow... I guess the lightsource is the cloudy sky and the lightnings...

very nice otherwise  ;D

//Albin

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:20:47 pm
yes, speaking of water....

I think it would be nice with water dripping from Kraken and a waves, lots of waves would be excellent :)

and probably make the whole thing a bit darker and the light maybe should have a more lightning yellow... I guess the lightsource is the cloudy sky and the lightnings...

very nice otherwise ;D

//Albin

I think he know's what he's doing with all of that: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1687.0

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 03:04:49 am
I know you're still working on the colours, but some teal or green for the eyes would complement your reds better. And with the eyes, it might be interesting if each eye was looking at different objects in the drawing. As long as it doesn't look too goofy or crosseyed.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 11:12:32 pm
The horizon seems too low, and you shouldn't be able to see waves that large on the horizon.