AuthorTopic: Japanese Bridge thing. *UPDATE* C+C pls :]  (Read 6415 times)

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Re: Japanese Bridge thing. *UPDATE* C+C pls :]

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:43:41 pm
I'll try a different angle, and i'll post on here :D

Thanks for the honesty.

I'll look at the sprite you did, and i'll then try and... take the lessons into my own art.

-Joe.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Japanese Bridge thing. *UPDATE* C+C pls :]

Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 12:27:55 am
Well, i wasn't aware of all that, i knew it was something to do with buddism.

Shinto :P, although it has been adopted in the same way that many customs get adopted by younger spreading religions.  And i realized that, seeing adam's edit, in rewording my first post, i removed the points I wanted to make :

- the construction of the gate demands that the lintel be relatively straight, else it will crack, and that the kasagi be curved, because curved forms represent spirits where square forms represent earth.  Also (to adam mostly) - the tie beam is a piercing element, not a pierced element!  For support and for symbolism.

- the purpose and structure of the gate does not demand a bridge.  most actually are free structures, so you're not limited in that regard.

adam's sketch, for it's wonkiness, is a good one.  I would go as far as to suggest that, even though some of the important elements of construction are neglected, it has a lot of personality in addition to the tonal achievement. [/brown_nosing]

And yeah, I wouldn't make such a big deal if I weren't, like 99% of college students, exploring other religions and philosophy.  Most people probably will not care.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.