AuthorTopic: Warrior Animation  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Flame

• !
    • View Profile

Warrior Animation

on: March 23, 2006, 12:54:00 am
I'm pretty horrible at animating and figured this would be a good start

Pretty mediocore. :x

Could use some crits
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:02:05 am by Flame »
!

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Re: Warrior Animation

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 04:09:44 am
What does he have in his hand? ?_?

I think it's not a complicated animation to do and I guess that's a good thing to start with but something more challenging might look interesting and less mediocre.

The shading on the helmet looks odd.

But all in all, it's a cute figure.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 05:10:46 am

Applied lighted motion blur + subpixel motion. That also changed style a bit, so take what you want from this edit. :D

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 05:22:53 am
Idle animations at this size won't always work that well, since a one pixel movement is so drastic.  This one looks fine, because you don't really have to do much for it.  I suggest you try doing other animations, like walking or attacking or something.  You should probably just work with blocks of colors and not worry about the details if you're just starting out in animation.  Once you have a good sillouette down, you can worry more about the pixel specific aspects of it.  (An animation like this doesn't really call for the silloutte thing, since there's very little to it).

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 05:44:06 am
I'll pretty much ditto what darien said, + lose the motion blur. It does nothing to such minor motions.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:38:10 am
This is way overdone, but hopefully it'll give you some ideas on how to go about animating this guy.

I think it's pretty evident what I changed. Just added some back and forth movement, some sub-movement of the body parts--especially the head and arms--and a few other tweaks here and there. No new frames either. Hope it helps!

Offline Flame

• !
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 02:57:11 pm
Thanks for the crits.

He is actually holding some kind of large meat pounder.

I pretty much just moved some parts up and down. Think it can use more effort from me :x Nice to see it get the full treatment  :)
!

Offline Aleiav

• View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 11:48:55 pm
I think the meat pounder could use some work then. I thought it was an oddly shaped broom at first.  :-\

Offline Flame

• !
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 02:58:34 pm
Not sure how I can fix it, can you do an edit? :x

This is what I got with the animation. Not sure how to do submovement, looks like random pixels moving when I do it  :-X
!

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 05:05:13 pm
I still haven't really gotten the hang of AAed sub-pixel movement, I just wiggle around the pixels inside the outline to give the impression of more movement.

What I think would improve this is if the movements are circular and opposing each other. That is, if you have the entire body rotating clockwise, make the arms move counter-clockwise. Loosen up those shoulders too, you can have one frame with them up, and one frame with them down to really push the breathing and keep him from looking too robotic.

I like to examine each body part individually as I go, and make sure they're all moving in smooth curves. If you look at the close arm, it's kind of jerking back and forth, juggle the lighter blue and the flesh colored pixels around of the end of the arm to get a smoother motion.

If you look really closely at my animation, you'll also notice that even the chest changes, just by a few pixels, but it breaks everything up even more and makes it seem more alive.

One thing I didn't do that would probably look good would be to make his meat pounder (^_^) rotate around somewhat during the cycle, if you make it lag a frame behind everything else (going up and down) it should look heavier as well.

Keep those feet planted, I notice that the front foot is wiggling back and forth, it makes his stance look a bit weak.

Do the same frame lag thing with the cape; when the body moves up, the cape stays down until the next frame, when the body moves down, it stays up till the next frame. This'll make it look lighter and "floatier."

Offline Aleiav

• View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 10:40:34 pm
Not sure how I can fix it, can you do an edit? :x

This is what I got with the animation. Not sure how to do submovement, looks like random pixels moving when I do it  :-X

The head of the meat pounder should be much smaller. If it's a wooden one, which looks like this it shouldn't be that big with such a small handle.

I made two edits:

I also fixed the parts of the body I didn't like, personally, as well as the color of the wood. Hopefully, that helps. Look at those edits and try to draw one of your own.