AuthorTopic: New art, new avatar.  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

New art, new avatar.

on: April 25, 2007, 05:45:53 am

First guy was just funny as a concept. He can't wear the helmet but he wants to join the corinthians!
Can't use the avatar yet, obviously. It animates. If you're patient. It's a joke based on doom/wolfenstein where your face was damaged by enemies in a little hud window.

Critique welcome, only real eye-openers will be edited in, though.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: New art, new avatar.

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 06:02:15 am
me likes oldschool helm better.

and the awkward dude looks cool...like it better than the new av, yet it needs some more separation between the guy and the helm, specially because of how it has a skinline texture in the forehead, and how the chin has a purple illumination from below, it makes it all look like the harsh lines at the brow are just a stylish brow, and he's actually just a punk with funky lighting.

The new av has this weird gradient quality when he isn't beat up that just..IDk doesn't cut it, doesnt seem to be based on any sense of lighting.More importantly, it doesn't look like you! give him some YOU eyebrows, the eyes are really weird, in a geisha kind of way
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:10:11 am by Conceit »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:08:47 am
Interesting time to post this :P.

I like these...they aren't trying to be noticed through extreme/experimental pixel work...they are just prime examples of amazing pixel technique.

The Corinthian-wannabe has got some ace color choice...very reminiscent of a CMY color-scheme, only with an updated feel....donno if that was intentional, but I'm guessing it is.  A few yuckies are, for one the mohawk; I didn't even get the joke until I zoomed in  ::)...perhaps more contrast?  It'd be hard to do without losing the "hair" feel you've achieved....good luck working that out.  I don't know what it is, but I don't like the nose.....probably just me.   It's interesting how you combined your brick dithering with standard dithering on the cheek, and I guess it works, but it is annoying, I guess, to look at zoomed in....really not a problem  ;).

The avatar is awesome...I wish I wasn't so tired so I could examine it more adequately, but it seems like 8 grays of wolfenstein-esque awesomeness.  I'll have to look at it tomorrow or something.

Amazing stuff though.  Congrats on the posts.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:10:57 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 08:42:38 am
Wolfenstein... wow, that brings me back.
I really like the look, except the eyes look like either a bug's eyes or a kid's eyes. Very shiny and black. That stands out to me.

I love the tongue/spit on the first one, and the hair on the side of the head is subtle and adds to it.

And I had to mention: your post count caught up with the year! Precisely 2007!

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:53:27 am
as usual , very nice,  both of them,
about the first one, it took me quite a long time before noticing it was a helmet on his head though.. (even after reading the text) I just saw kind of mohawk.. Now that I know, I clearly see it..
the second one, nice idea , the animation could be a bit faster imo..

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:50:31 am
I am genuflect before you works Helm  :)
For first guy is really in mad mood  :D, but for this idea "He can't wear the helmet but he wants to join the corinthians!" - maybe I am use some another perspective, but with your face, me simpler paint...
something like this, sorry for this horrible quick sketch:

"What you say? I am CORINTHIAN!!!"

And for avatar - old me very like, but if you very want... )). Maybe damaged you old face? It's a very funny for this idea and actually...

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 03:18:15 pm
It might be nice if the new avatar blinks and looks around in between taking damage (one thing Wolfenstein and DOOM portraits did).  This would help "breathe life" into it, and give the viewer a cue that's it's not just a static image.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 03:28:08 pm
Thanks for the comments. I *want* the helmet to not be a visual gag you notice the first time around, and yeah, having to zoom in to see it suits me fine. It's pixel art, you're supposed to zoom in at least once to check out the technique.

Conceit: I went for the gradient quality, as this is influenced by the usual Bitmap Brother stuff, and it was a good chance to try interlace dithering on flesh and such, I'm quite happy with the starting frame, it's the others that are a bit messier, but fortunatelly the dude is a bit messier so it's not a big problem for me.

I have issues with the eyes. I always have issues with the eyes. Damn them.

I like these...they aren't trying to be noticed through extreme/experimental pixel work

I don't think I ever drew something because it's 'extreme' or 'experimental' primarily. It's strange that you see any difference in intent between this any any of my other work. I just do what feels right and promotes the medium's strengths.

Nah I wasn't thinking the RGBCMY piece I did when I was doing this. I just drop colors in there and then tweak them until it 'clicks' for me so when I put the ambient light under the nose I tried bright blue, green, yellow, pink, and pink stuck. The yellow and green secondaries on cheeks etc are slimy and work.

Big Brother: I might do this. Though as an avatar I hoped people wouldn't guess it's animated and read my post and then boom suddenly the avatar gets attacked! I was thinking minute intervals inbetween almost. But yeah, the shifty eyes and blinking don't really upset that plan. I'll get to it soon.

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 02:38:44 am
The pallet is - as always - something I don't think I'll ever be able to do, it shouts detail ;D

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 05:59:26 pm
the dither-antialiasing on the avatar is not really neccesary on such short lines, it makes it look quite jaggy.  Hair should be smooth.  Good pixelling as always, i cant really see the helmet though, looks like hair.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:28:46 am by Feron »