AuthorTopic: Elf Run Cycle  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Elf Run Cycle

on: March 09, 2007, 01:36:11 am

I spruced up a sprite I made for an old gamemaker game I was planning on making.  She's some kind of "guardian" Christmas elf.  I can't remember the story or anything, but her name was "Chickadee" and she had a handgun and bazooka (named "Holly") for weapons.  I liked the animation, so I thought I'd post it.  Crits?

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Re: Elf Run Cycle

Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 02:05:06 am
I like it a lot, the character design is really nice! And the running is quite good also, I just didnt like much of the hat, but I think thats because of the number of frames

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 05:30:57 am
I think there are too many colors right now, and they don't seem well chosen- do a bit of hue shifting.  Also, in the 4th frame, the coat has a huge snap down that really sstands out.  I think if you need to alter frame one, because I can't tell which leg is closer and which is farther.  Also, the cape and hat are kind of distracting.

That's it from me :)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 05:48:54 am
Keep his arms at 90 degree angles the whole time, (some people do run and straighten their arms, but it looks goofy).

Also, in frame six, I don't think you should show his left thigh.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:18:56 am
It's a grrl.

I don't think the near fist should stop like that at its most forward position.
It's weird how the cap waves. It's like the bell on the end is leading the rest of the hat, rather than just being an attachment.
In frame four, it's weird 'cause that's the only frame you see the back of the jacket's lengthy part. I think it'd be better if you redrew the trailing coat for each frame. It's like, her torso is twisting but her coat isn't, if you see what I mean. This is especially evident inf frame 5. The white trim is supposed to come together over her breast, no? well in that frame, as well as the following one, it meets the...shoulder part thingy on her side rather than twisting around to her front.
Very nice character though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:20:14 pm by Xion »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 01:29:56 pm
i actually like the way it moves currently.  it gives the bell weight and the jacket looks like it tries to fall smoothly but is kicked back into the air.  in general though i woudl like to see the whole thing smoother, possibly by tweening some things (try eight frames i think)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 07:22:54 pm
I don't agree that it needs hue shifting.  I think that would take away from the cartoony feel, which I really like.  I think it's adorable, and I'd play a game with her as a character.

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 11:42:50 pm
Thanks for the tips, guys.  I will be sure to post an updated version after taking your suggestions into account.