AuthorTopic: [WIP] Valor Dump - NEED HELP WITH RUN CYCLE D:  (Read 12958 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: [WIP] Valor Dump - New WIP Windmill

Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 03:18:40 pm
When drawing a big structure like this you should start with the basic shape of the windmill, a cone-like object, and shade that first. That is the primary shape. Then draw in the cracks between the stones and add little details, etc. Don't treat the stones like a bunch of tiny little independently lit objects; they are only DETAILS in a much larger object!

Excuse the quality of this example, I spent less than a minute on this. But you should render it in this order: Shape -> volume -> texture/detail.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:22:36 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Valor Dump - New WIP Windmill

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 10:50:38 am
Thank you for the edit. That answers one of my unasked questions: Which comes first, the base shading or the texture? Anyways, thanks. And in a minute? That's like, awesome.  You must work lightning fast, and I must be the slower pixelist on the planet..*sigh* Oh well. Well, I tried to do some form shading again, on something less ambitious for now, and made this fence, which, if I add a bit, would tile nicely I think. I want to stay in the style of the soldier, so kinda like a painted-celshaded-cartoon-exaggerated-look. Anyways, here it is:

A Wooden Fence

I could throw variety in there by adding bullet holes and such, but I was just wondering if this is a step in the right direction..Also about the windmill, I wanted it to be front view, or else animating the wheel would have been...too hard for me, I think. So how do you take something from the front view, and make it 3D? I tried here with the fence, dunno if it worked or not..3 colors on the fence.

Sokota

Edit: What it looks like sloppily repeated:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:03:14 am by Sokota »

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Valor Dump - New WIP Fence - Noob Run Cycle =[

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 06:45:07 am
Ok well, finally took a wee bit of time on the run animation..I'm following NacL's advice from another topic, and made a stick figure first. I need help at this stage. To me it looks ok, but I know its not right..Also, I won't be animation the arms because it is a mouse aiming game, and therefore aren't attached to the rest of the body..Well they are, but you know what I mean. I'm going for an exaggerated, cartoony run, and here is what I have so far..which isn't much:

Basic run

No head or torso movement, I know. I dont know if there will be, heh. So yes, all help and critique is very welcome to help me walk through this process. Being a stick figure, I can edit it pretty easy, so please feed me..feedback!

Sokota

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Valor Dump - New WIP Fence

Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 06:57:28 am
There's no movement other from his legs, which is incorrect, his body should be bobbing up and down, and his torso leaning more to the right if he is running. Also the head would be titled to the right as well a bit. I mean I know you said you don't know if there will be any movement on head or torso, but if not then it will keep looking wrong, realistically or cartoony.

Actually, if you are going for an exaggerated cartoony run then these movements would occur to their extremes. Right now, I guess it's a good start on the legs but it's way to stuff to be running in any way. The whole body works and moves when you run.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 02:34:23 pm
I'm going to ask a simple question. When you are running, is there a point where both your feet are next to each other on the ground? Because your animation has that frame.

Try imagining for every frame if you are ever in that pose when running. If not, try to envision what pose you are in, and draw that. It's an easy way of animation that doesn't follow all the principles, but using this method is very easy for beginning animators. When you can get some animations looking decent, it's time to hit the books and learn all about anticipation, follow-through, stretch and all the important animator stuff...

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 08:52:09 pm
I'm going to ask a simple question. When you are running, is there a point where both your feet are next to each other on the ground? Because your animation has that frame.

Yes, and as well as a frame in which both of his feet are up from the ground which is very, very, unnatural, not to mention very hard to do. It's almost like he's doing a hi-step.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 12:48:26 am
Dr D:

On the contrary, both of your feet leaving the ground is what defines a run, but you probably knew that?

Doing it like in the animation, though, is impossible, yes.
' _ '

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 01:08:53 am
I agree with Jad, the high point is fine. Running always means you lift both feet.

I suggest starting with getting keyframes ready btw. Start with a 4 frame run, then tween the right frames until you get to the frame count you want.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 10:30:22 am
Okay, thank you all for the replies, I will try to get another one done. I need to start completely over, and follow that tutorial all the way through. Heh. Thanks for all the critiques, I must be noobmeat for you guys =P.

Sokota

Edit: Any C&C on the fence or anything else would be appreciated as well!

Double Edit: Woot! I did this in about half an hour, following that oh-so-famous walk cycle floating around. I'm pretty happy with the progress, as it looks sooo much better. The only thing is, I need more of a run..so how would I do that? Change the contact to have only one foot on the ground or something? Here's what I have so far..remember, I still have to animate the actual soldier, this is the just the skeleton to work off of:

Improved? Walk cycle!

Cheers,
Sokota
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:21:34 am by Sokota »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 04:07:19 pm
A run is completely different from a walk. In a walk you always have one feet on the ground, two on the contact. In a run you have no feet on the ground, one on the contact frames.

It's impossible imo to change a walk into a run. Try this reference: