AuthorTopic: [WIP] guardian  (Read 11438 times)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] guardian

Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:21 pm
Just some things to note that I feel are off, the pose is very stale, I know he's supposed to be a big sluggish monster but you can do it in better ways besides a sluggish, boring static pose. For instance, put objects around him for size comparison, like a tree or an animal so you know just how big he is. Another thing I dislike is the composition, it doesn't really seem too well thought-out, you need to lead us through the image, here its just a knight/robot monster thing just hanging around, lead your viewer's eyes through the piece, you can do this through lighting, placement, etc. With composition you could also show how big he is.

Also I don't know if this will help much but as for how you're constructing the knight, just his over-all design, you might want to check out the Tower Knight boss from Demons Souls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOa9_jNnEw), maybe you'll get a clearer idea of what you want in your own piece?

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:12:50 pm
Hey, everyone:

I've done a bit of an update since you last viewed this topic. I tried applying some of st0ven's critiques about the form while still using the same texture and style, and I also edited a lot of the suit, changing the positioning and length of a lot of things, as per Indigo's suggestions. Over MSN, he told me it was better, and it could be pushed further if need be.

My main point in this isn't for an interesting pose, bengoshia. I'm not going for size relativity or anything of that nature. It's supposed to be more mysterious than anything, and, also, he's in a cave, so trees, animals, etc. aren't something I should add. I appreciate the critique though, and while it'd be helpful for future reference, it's not exactly what I'm aiming for with this piece.

Still very WIP. I have done a few underlying sketches with this one and the anatomy seems to work much much better. I'll let you guys determine that, though. I also edited a lot of the texture and forms, and added some more interesting areas. I've yet to do anything about the back pieces, because I'm kind of at a loss for design there, as I want the suit to look rusted, rugged, and broken down.

All comments appreciated. I hope I'm heading in the right direction, here.

Offline gameproducer

• View Profile
    • The Infected (video game)

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 06:34:32 pm
Great insight Indigo - very helpful for beginners like myself :)

regarding pic - I like it very much. ;D

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 06:42:40 pm
looking over your progress so far, I'd like to make a suggestion - one that might hurt you a bit inside.  I honestly think you should strip the image of all the nice texturing you've got going on.  -For a couple reasons.  First, I think it will allow us to stay focused on and give critique on the core issues of this piece.  And second, it will allow you to make more productive edits as you receive critique without being distracted or worried about destroying the nice texturing you've done so far.  We know you can texture.  That's not the problem.  The problems of this image i truly feel need to be addressed well before texturing.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:47:49 pm
Perhaps you know the feeling of spending hours working on something and then having to start it over? That's what you're telling me to do and I'm not sure I can fully accept that at this point- I'm pretty busy these days and completely removing something I worked hard on isn't really setting well with me right now. I understand there are problems, but I fully believe I can work with them with the work I've done so far.

Also, seeing as how most of the texture isn't really finished and is just there for my personal reference, I can still go over most of it and do it again. The only areas where it's really finalized are the breastplates and I feel they're fine anyways. If there's anywhere else I need to redo places, it won't be as bad, because none of it is really finished.

Thanks though, to both of you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:24:24 pm by Dex »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 07:55:36 pm
i know that it would be a huge pain - but its unfortunate you've made that decision.  I think this is the main blocker inhibiting your potential to grow.  Perhaps when you start the next piece you could post here before you dive into texturing.

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:45 pm
Quote from: Big Brother
"Kill your darlings" [is] as applicable with pixel art as it is with writing.

Basically, you won't just simply be scrapping something you worked on for ages; you will be learning from what you made, moving on and continuing on to make the piece as awesome as you possibly can.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 08:13:51 pm
It's fine, if you don't want to restart this, just get into the critique process earlier on your next piece.

The problem with your art is not the pixel tech, it's the volumes and shapes. They're wobbly, there's no straight lines to counteract the curves, there's no cohesion and flow to the theme, it's parts, next to parts, next to parts. Flat shapes that are shaded and pixel-teched until they look better, but it's keeping you back. You need to work on the fundamentals. The pixel part of pixel art this is fine, you've got it. Now you have to work on the art side of things.  :)

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:47 pm
I guess all I can say is I'm trying, Helm. I work on fundamentals every day. I've been doing anatomy studies since the last time you posted in one of my topics, which was about a year ago, and I've been doing tons of studies, paintings, etc. etc. I see lots of straight lines, areas that aren't flat, and so on. I can't come up with what you mean. I'd really appreciate an edit or something... I'm seriously trying my best, and I'm young and still learning, and I'm eager to learn, but sometimes I don't have the best direction, even though I do practice. A lot.

If it really means something I'll start the whole thing over. I don't want to, I really like it already, but apparently not everyone does and it's full of problems, so, perhaps those same people can guide me along the path to a better piece.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:44:42 pm by Dex »

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 10:07:40 pm
Haha, I noticed that when I took out the large metal bars on the sides of his neck that the face looks very....odd and disconfigured. Something that would not be held up properly, because the shoulder s kind of protrude out of the arms in a way that looks like they aren't supporting weight. I guess you could argue that this is a stylistic choice but I think maybe that's what people are talking about. I mean I could be completely wrong and I don't exactly have too much experience with this kind of stuff....Anyway here's kinda what I did: