AuthorTopic: Game Art [Just a Plant]  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Game Art [Just a Plant]

on: March 02, 2008, 11:54:37 pm

My own colours and everything :D.

I'm trying to be influenced by Fool's work (probably my favourite pixel artist) because I want to design games and his art is really fun to look at and, as far as I understand, it reads well which is a big bonus with game art. So I'm asking for critique that directs me towards his way of doing things, if you think my reasons are correct for wanting to emulate his style.

Here's a piece that I like a lot: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/28342.htm

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: Game Art [Just a Plant]

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:59:31 pm
Thanks for kind words, man.=)
Here what I usually do on plants. Hope it'll help. :)

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:53:37 pm
That is really fantastic.
I hope to be that good someday.

I'm not going to post a revision of my plant cause I feel intimidated but I will learn from this example.

;D

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 07:11:07 pm
That is really fantastic.
I hope to be that good someday.

I'm not going to post a revision of my plant cause I feel intimidated but I will learn from this example.

;D

No no no. Post it.
Donīt feel intimidated, let it drive you more!
And anyway, first time you came here you werenīt even half as good. So just keep going and keep posting!

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:56:11 pm
Hey, I didn't mean to discourage you, quite opposite - plants are fairely simple thing to draw. A few things to consider - fight a brain which naturally  tends to put everything in order, in symmetry, apply things uniformly.  Plants are rarely like that. =)

I've pulled palette from project i'm working on, it is a bit dull, but in you sample all tones are saturated and fighting for attention, i would say keep saturated colors for that part of leaves which hit with a light and keep shadows less saturated. I don't know much about theory, but it might be  true for straight color ramp. Perhaps all saturated might work just as good in shifted ramp. Adarias has quite nice examples in his thread.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:59:45 pm by Fool »

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:26:33 pm

It took me quite a while getting around to doing this (I've just started an IT course and it's been really busy) but I'm happy with what I've done.
I learnt from an article on light that colours become less saturated in highlights and shadows.

Thanks Fool and Opacus
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:32:02 pm by Obsidantion »