AuthorTopic: armageddon soldier  (Read 9936 times)

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Re: armageddon soldier

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 04:15:06 pm
Soldat, when I mentioned low saturated pink what that means is a pinkish hue which has such little saturation that it looks virtually grey. This photo shows what I mean.
Also, the word crate is spelled with a 't' not a 'd' and I advise you to download the latest version of Firefox because it has a good spelling correction feature which you would definitely benefit from.

Offline soldat

• View Profile
    • My Game-Dev-Blog

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 04:52:09 pm
so here it is and i guess i have everything that u have said now.

pink and blue in the heaven and the clouds are done.

his hair is figured out now.. the shadow will be done later and be something special

what do u think so far?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 05:02:26 pm by soldat »
Everything is art really, it is just a matter of looking at it that way.

http://chess-game-dev.blogspot.com/
My Site

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 07:25:14 pm
I'd suggest trying something a bit smaller.. work on the sky a bit more, only dither to add texture or if it's adding to make it smoother. Half this size would be good working size imo and try not to use soo many colours.. I understand that it's armageddon so im not going to suggest you add a pretty tree or any foliage but you would still expect changes in the land, hills, mountains, rocks? Atm it just looks like flat land off into the horizon. The crate really looks odd there because it's not following what perspective you'd expect. Your character looks very stiff also, look at your own arm, look at references to get the postion right, even ask someone to stand like that and sketch out what you see.

I made an edit but it ended up looking completely different, didn't tackle any colours, just suggesting how I think you should lay it out, maybe add a city on the horizon? Mostly my advice would be to keep your work clean, don't dither as if you're manually spray-canning, keep your outlines smooth and don't let your pixels stray (there are noticable mistakes that make this look rough and bitty). Working with silhouettes shouldn't be so hard, you can't get many noticable details in so stick to adding in highlights and hinting shapes, the reason why im suggesting this angle is because you can add some highlights on your character without it looking pillowshaded, plus a character in the middle of the screen seems so generic.

welll goodluck with this, I hope you take any of my suggestions into consideration.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 07:27:40 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline soldat

• View Profile
    • My Game-Dev-Blog

Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 08:37:37 pm
very helpfull! thx! :)

i sketched this:

is this what u wanted to say?

i understand it so and i like ure suggestion :y:

My Site

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 12:25:56 am
I think he was talking about the layout more...
http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1514
When you have your subject right in the middle, it looks really boring.

Also, the second darkest color in the sky is not visible until 3x zoom.

The arms look really strange as perfect 45 degree angles. That position would be most uncomfortable. Same with the perfectly straight leg. It seems like you aren't willing to draw curves or anything.

The dithering in the sky looks nice. :y:

That's all for now.

Offline soldat

• View Profile
    • My Game-Dev-Blog

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 02:06:15 pm
u mean this? :

a ruff sketch so dont mind the background now^^ is the standing and the arm thiny better?

My Site

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 05:43:55 am
I would suggest cleaning up and refining your lineart before adding color. I'm also not sure there's any reason to write "metal-crate" on a crate. Why not just make it looks metal and we'll figure it out from there? I'm a little confused what's going on with the mouth area and lack of nose. Looks a bit like a puppet mouth.

Try working out the volume of the shapes and lighting without dithering and once it looks good maybe experiment with dithering but usually dithering would be a skill you'd pick up after some more of the basic ones. It's a neat concept you have there though.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 07:50:44 am
You can sketch out a scene like this without having to make it look so sketchy. When you add so much needless detail without actually realizing the scene or blocking out the scene as they say, you end up creating more work for yourself like you did when you moved the guy lower. I say, keep the colours and lines basic to start with and fill in the blanks when you're happy with what you see. I did a little edit as well:

As you can see, he's a bit more proportionate now and his lower half isn't larger than his upper half. He's got a bit of a chest and the pose seems a bit more realistic IMO. I also suggest you think about what is happening in your scene and why. In my edit, I changed him to a pirate (because everybody loves pirates) and got him in a proud stance over his found treasure.
Why is your dude standing so rigidly with his guns? Does the scenery around him say anything about the focused attention to the solider? Eyes will wander and people like to see the whole image not just what's in the middle. Think about that and I'm sure you'll have a renewed sense of what you want to do.

Offline soldat

• View Profile
    • My Game-Dev-Blog

Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 03:03:14 pm
sry for posting so late but i was in holidays

here ive made a TOTAL new one with a new pose

what do u think about this sketch?

i guess u can figure out the forms :)

plz cc thx!

My Site

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 08:52:54 pm
Ridged and not dynamic.

He's got no crotch, his elbows are tucked to his sides, the head is small, the neck looks awkward partially due to his chin angling down, his left [viewer right] foot is out of perspective and most of the angles are just 45 or 90 degree corners.