AuthorTopic: Batman - Clayface (Need help with AA)[WIP] [C+C]  (Read 9797 times)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: Batman - Clayface [Animated][WIP] [C+C]

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 01:23:29 am
Breath along with your animation. When he starts inhaling, inhale along with him. When he freezes, freeze with him. When he exhales, exhale with him. Make sure your timing matches perfectly with his. Doesn't it hurt your chest?

Now breath naturally, and pay close attention to how long each breath takes, how fast you breath, how long you take between breaths, and everything else. Trace the arc of your breath with your finger if it helps. Make a graph in the air with your finger to help with your timing. Steadily move your hand to the right, without changing speed. This represents time. Move your finger up when your exhale, down when you inhale. Break it down slowly.

Act out your animation in front of a mirror. Pretend to be a huge badass who's about to cause some trouble. Hunch over a bit. Flex your muscles. Breath in deeply and calmly, confident that you're going to win your fight. Stare yourself down in the mirror. Breath audibly, like a clay monster. Again, pay attention to the timing of your breath, and to your posture. Live your character, so that you can just copy yourself. Pay attention to what your arms and chest and such are doing. Don't draw again until you've consciously decided what your timing is going to be, and what your character is going to be doing. If you can't decide *what* you want him to do or *how* you want him to do it, drawing isn't going to help you.

Do whatever you need to do to realize the timing of your animation. I'd suggest reading the Animator's Survival Kit, if you haven't already. It'll help you a lot, I think. Fantastic book.

And try to have fun when you draw. You're drawing to learn right now, right? And you're definitely learning, even if it doesn't feel like it. Judging by your artwork, you've already been drawing long enough to know that, though. Keep at it! =)

Edit: Tapping along like a metronome also helps. Breathing in takes on beat, as does breathing out. Then there are two beats of rest. Depending how fast your tap, of course! It could be two beats of of breathing in, two out, then four not breathing at all. Or one beat for the whole breathing segment, then one just resting. The point is, whenever he takes a breath, and then exhales, he waits the same amount of time before taking another breath. Like I said earlier, try breathing along with him like that. If you're out of shape like me, you'll probably become lightheaded, for want of oxygen! ;)

The timing is so important in animation! Right now you have a 1:1:2 ratio going on for inhaling:exhaling:resting. Do your acting, and find the natural ratio! And then speed the whole animation up or down, and see how it works. Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:44:18 am by jams0988 »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 01:35:15 am
I've tried that, but every time I'm concentrating on breathing, ironically, it stops to be "natural".  :)
First versions were based on my thinking how breathing should look like, but it wasn't good enough. I will make it work... eventually...  ;D

Thank you so much for yours suggestions. I'll read the book, I'm sure it will be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:10:50 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 02:25:14 pm
I know what's wrong with this animation. Inhaling and exhaling last much longer (btw inhaling is a little quicker). Problem is, if I add more time to each frame to mach breathing time, it will look like there is some lag in the animation. Simple time adjusting will not make it look natural. That means that I need to add more frames, and each frame should be slightly different. Problem is, I can move up or down for least one pixel, which will (at this resolution) produce to much body movement for simple breathing.  :-\

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 03:40:01 pm
There is a technique that was called something like sub-pixel movement. Basically you keep the silhouette the same, but you move the details/antialias inside the form. You'll need to add that first, of course.

http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/
Here is a tutorial on that.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 03:59:16 pm
Thanks man. Great idea. ;D I just need to figure out how to make this looks good without adding more colors. Challenge accepted. :)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:00:33 pm
You can spread your movement out this way if you wanted to, since you're using a lot of curved shapes like this:

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:18 am
Thanks, good idea. I was trying something similar in my earlier versions, but obviously unsuccessful.  :(

You guys helped me so much, and last few comments are pure gold. Now I have much clearer picture of what to do, but whether I will succeed... time will tell...  ;)

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Batman - Clayface (Need help with AA) [WIP] [C+C]

Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 08:37:11 pm
Hi guys. After a long pause, I've decided to try to make sub pixel animation of breathing, as it was suggested in earlier posts. I think that it would be big step forward for me if I succeed. :)

I started adding AA to his body (it's still in progress) and I add few more colors. I'm not very experienced in this, but I know all the basics and I read a lot of tutorials on this topic. I would like to get some feedback, and if someone have advices about sub pixel animation that would be great.  ;D

edit:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:16:41 am by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Batman - Clayface (Need help with AA)[WIP] [C+C]

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 06:30:44 pm
Looks better, but doing this to every single frame might prove a daunting task :lol:

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Batman - Clayface (Need help with AA)[WIP] [C+C]

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 07:24:37 pm
I'm thinking to change the main concept of this animation. He will transform whole body instead of just head. Just one transformation -> into "the granny" and back to Clayface. This way I will add a little humor to it. I'm currently busy (again  :(), but here is the preview of current version of "grandma". Every comment is welcomed.