AuthorTopic: RPG Tileset  (Read 11646 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: RPG Tileset

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 01:53:16 am
my concern - everyone who has read tsugumo has made these grass tiles.  they will work, but they will define the tiles as novice - fanart/practise tiles - whether you like it or not.  i think though the the lessened contrast and better colors will do you a lot of good here.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 01:56:47 am
Something no one every seems to do here, but go look at rpg games, the greats, and work like they do.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 02:05:46 am
??? That's what he just did.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 02:10:37 am
Heh, I was about to say... isn't Seiken Densetsu considered one of the greats?

In any case... I'm a bit undecided, after taking Adarias' remark into consideration. I'll probably try and work with the previous tiles, or possibly a combination. Then again, who knows, I might do something completely different. I'll update when I've got something worth showing. In the meantime, if there's anything I've missed/hasn't been mentioned, feel free to say so. :P

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 02:16:14 am
Takai, are you kidding?  like, have you read the last 3 posts before yours? - feels a bit redundant because others pointed it out while i was posting

studying popular and attractive works its a great way to start, thats why nearly everyone can spot the SD3 grass, most often drawn from tsugumo's tutorial, or, less commonly, a knockoff tutorial also on zoggles, but also, occasionally, from direct observation of screenshots. (did i really just say direct observation of screenshots?  ewwwwwwww....direct observation comes from life! remember this!  you will learn more about spriting grass from looking outside than you will from studying other artist's interpretations of the same object)

there is nothing wrong with this style of learning, except for the fact that you lose the creative credit that comes with discovering your own methods. 

many people dont worry about this with something like grass tiles (because despite the fact that there are so many possibilities, its still hard to come up with a style that doesnt look like something thats already been done several times by someone else).

This however is in general a creative/artistic forum, even though it can be geared towards specific styles, so in general, copies and interpretations are viewed as beginer-level work which will help the artist to blossom into the intermediate realm of cautious experimentation driven by the imagination, and eventually to advanced realm of complete creative freedom and exploration that is both an amalgamation and complete rejection of the art to which they have been exposed to.  A select few, the masters, surpass even this level of creation and define existence as themselves, therby proving that they themsleves exist as independant sources of creative material for others to draw from.

So like i said, studying the masters is fine, it's where most people begin, but the creative process is one that builds independance, not reliance, which is why emulation is often plagued by the idea that it is 'beneath' certain levels of art and creativity.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:18:56 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 02:52:38 am
I only glanced through the posts so sorry if someone said this already.

I think it's too busy to be your grass tile. Compared to foreground objects, the grass should be simpler in design and its range of luminance values low. The grass/floor layer shouldn't compete for attention with your foreground object like the bushes, buildings, trees, etc.

I made a thread for a harvest moon mockup which you might want to check out. I got a lot of VERY imformative posts in that thread which you apply to this kind of mockup.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 04:30:23 am
Alright, I know, I know I said I'd update this when I had something "worth" showing, but I figured I'd put out a possible final coloring for these tiles. As well, I updated those bushes, but just want to make sure things are looking alright there.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 01:25:56 am
Alright, please excuse the bump... I'm a bit uncertain here. I tried going with another style for the dirt, but I really can't tell what looks best. So I suppose I'm asking for opinions here. BTW, the color count is at 16, including the white (transparency if I wasn't so lazy to make a gif).

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 01:29:55 am
I think the upper one looks better; the lower one has perfectly circular "dots" that make it look like it's from a top-on view.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 03:33:28 am
I prefer the bottom one. The top one looks like mud or some kind of liquid. The bottom is much more solid.