AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tree (yes, another tree)  (Read 2893 times)

Offline intaler

• Newb Spriter
    • View Profile

[WIP] Tree (yes, another tree)

on: July 03, 2010, 09:41:07 pm
Hello, I am new here. I am not a good spritist, but I wish to become one, one beautiful day!
I have only been spriting for some months.

I am working on this tree.

I need critics to tell me what you think, and how I could make it look better.

Thank you. :)

EDIT: 125 views and no reply? :(

I guess I'm not good enough for this forum.

I will post here again once I'm better.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:13:22 pm by intaler »
I am a new spriter, studying your spriting until I am good enough to post something myself here.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Tree (yes, another tree)

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:40:50 pm
From what i've seen, there is no "good" or "bad" enough on this forum, i guess people don't have much to say about it.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:56:40 pm
Welcome to Pixelation.  :)

Don't get disheartened because you do not get a reply super quick. 125 views is not a lot really. Many people will just fly over the posts and wont find anything helpful to say.

The point of this forum is not to have people post awesome stuff so others can go "ooooh, nice", it is to help people get better with their pixelart.
So just stick around and you will get replies. Right now I am about to leave because I have some errands to run, but I will edit or make a new post when I am back home and have a bit more time to give you some pointers with your tree.

Just some quick thoughts:

- Make sure the light source makes sense, atm you have some odd light spots which do not make a lot of sense if the light comes from the top (why is the trunk light even if light comes from above)
- Only dither when you need to and perhaps wait with it until you have a better grasp of the fundamentals
- Go outside and look at real trees, and if those are not available look at photos of trees. Your tree does not have to be photorealistic, but at least make some studies and simplify from there
- Try and be a bit braver with your colours, at the moment they are very straight ramps from light to dark without much change in hue, except for the darkest colour on the green which goes a but bluey

Hope this helps for now. Keep it up :)

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:29:08 pm
Hey, don't leave! When I first came here replies to my threads were very sparse.

The formations of leaves on you're tree looked a little lumpy, and your dithering did not serve to add texture, or enhance the appearance of leaf clusters. Honestly I think your palette is kind of nice- not outlandish or extreme- works ok to me. In fact, I'm not accusing you of anything, but most beginners don't have palettes that are this concise and successful.
I made an edit and hope you find it useful:

Don't lose your spirits over a silly thing like no replies :] you gotta be tuff to be an artist!