AuthorTopic: [WIP] Barbarian girl  (Read 11206 times)

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Barbarian girl

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 02:21:34 am
Hey, that is strange.  I wasn't trying to adjust the colors, just the pixels.

Edit: Found the answer.  The PNG format can optionally specify a gamma and a chromaticity parameter.  The source files include this and the browser tries to interpret it correctly.  The paint program I was using (KDE paint) seems to ignore these bits and also saves the edited file without them.

Tourist
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:38:17 am by Tourist »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:44:49 am
Looks like some PNG gamma correction problems. I'm guessing that JJ has probably modified his monitor gamma, and whatever program he is using to make pixel art with is sophisticated enough to notice, and modify the gamma correction value. Something like that.

Anyway, I like the piece, especially the angularity. However, I wouldn't go overboard with that idea and try and make everything totally angular. I personally think that the angularity of everything works well with the organic forms of the body.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 10:47:38 pm
Tourist: Thanks, that was a nice edit. I always have trouble with hips.

Here's a new very rough WIP. Colour count's gone down to 13. The blade's been adjusted. I added some shadows and highlights. I gave her a bigger bottom and utilized the Frazetta directly-from-the-above butt light. I've yet to add more barbarian regalia.

Most obviously I got rid of the squareness. The problem is that black outlines work ok with the square style but not so well with this. Hair looks jagged and messy etc. So.. damn. Do I have to get rid of the outlines as well? 

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 11:15:00 pm
EEEP!!

Calibrate your monito ASAP.

Also new rear outline isn't working so well.  and some jaggy lights?

Take a second look!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 11:49:03 pm
EEEP!!
Calibrate your monito ASAP.

Too saturated? I'm back on my home PC and the monitor should be fairly well calibrated (considering it's old and crap) but I've got to wait till monday so I can check it with the workplace computer that's got a good, well calibrated monitor.

Also new rear outline isn't working so well.  and some jaggy lights?
Take a second look!

Everything's a bit jaggy atm, since I'm undecided about the outlines and stuff like do I have to use antialiasing.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 11:53:34 pm
Your highlights are way too strong atm; they look as though they are pure white. Try toning them down just a tad and working some of your skintone (after hue-shifting) into them.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:55:29 am
Oh well.. here's the latest.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 01:41:32 am
I'd say the highlights could use at least one buffer shade, they're still a little intense. However, the peach on the ice looks fantastic, it gives it a nice.. sunsetty feel about the piece. Also, the shading on the butt looks a little odd.. I don't think the highlights are necessary. Anyways, I think how this is turning out, keep it up :)
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:45 am
I wouldn't suggest warm highlight on the far rocks, it makes them punch through to the foreground.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:13 pm
I wouldn't mind warm highlights, but warm skin-colored highlights? I wouldn't mind that color changing.

(it really is vaguely skin-orangey-pinkish)
' _ '