AuthorTopic: [WIP] Avocado - Collectable fruit for platform game.  (Read 10968 times)

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile
Hey guys. This is the first sprite I have made for a new game I'm making similar to Rodland, Parasol Stars and Super Methane Bros. on the Amiga.

I'm not entirely happy with it, it seems to judder a bit while it's spinning, but it ony took me about an hour to draw and animate. If anyone has any suggestions, critique or edits, I'd appreciate any input.

The palette is 16 colours with colour 0 being transparent, although I have only used 8 on this sprite.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:57:22 pm by Rebel-CD32 »

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Avocado - Collectable fruit for platform game.

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 06:47:15 pm
Just thought I'd post an image showing the palette we're using for the sprites and foreground blocks in our game. I made a bunch of dithered patterns of every colour so I could quickly find a good shade to use for any forefround blocks I end up making.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:56:09 pm
wow awesome work, though
i noticed a white pixel, being more concrete on the 5th frame. i don't think that it would be fine there....
mmm...avocado...i saw that word on wario ware, a funny song xD,....what does it mean?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:58:00 pm by smiker »

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:42:50 pm
Thanks, Smiker. I see the white pixel you're talking about, I've just removed it in Personal Paint and played the animation, an it does look better without the white pixel, thanks.

Just before I read your reply, though, I touched up the avocado a bit. It still has the white pixel in this pic, but it will be gone in the next update. I fixed the top of the fruit in the first frame, which was a bit too skinny.

Here it is..

And to answer your question, an avocado is a creamy fruit that is high in vitamins and good fats, and is one of the most nutritious foods in the world. They can be eaten fresh, used as a spread or a dip, or cooked into food, for example it makes a delicious pasta sauce.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:45:26 pm by Rebel-CD32 »

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:37:56 pm
I apologise for bumping my own post, but I just made another sprite. It's a rockmelon this time, and while I don't like it as much as I like the avocado, it didn't take me as long to draw. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 02:06:40 am
I would remove the black dithering, and replace it with a dark green dither.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 02:55:54 am
Unfortunately I've already used my darkest green already, so I don't have much choice. I can't cheat and add colours, since this is for a real game on a real system (not Windows).

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 03:14:06 am
How about the darkest grey?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:47:56 am
Zooming in on the rockmelon blew my mind.

Anyway, on the Avocado, it seems a little wobbly. Maybe make the top row of black pixels more consistent (e.g. don't add or subtract pixels to it like the way you do now)?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 11:29:20 am
Given the limited palette, I think you did really well.

Although I do agree, the avocado looks a bit wobbly, I don't know why.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 01:59:32 pm
Unfortunately I've already used my darkest green already, so I don't have much choice. I can't cheat and add colours, since this is for a real game on a real system (not Windows).

ah I was afraid of that...sorry. you could always try a grey..or maybe a brown..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 02:32:58 pm
wow, i love how you dithered that to sintethyze a orangeish colour...how did you do that?

Offline selur

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 05:08:22 pm
In Hires (640x400 and more) palette and anim fruits looks very good.
But I guess you will be using Lowres dont you ?
So if you will use lowres then this kind of dither will look badly (except on standard 14" series monitors or tv where the pixels are not sharp)
Did you think about it ?
Ofcourse we are talking about classic AMIGA platform.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 05:44:39 pm
I have been pixelling these in Personal Paint on an Amiga with a 14" screen, as well as a 69cm TV to see how it would look when playing the game through a television. While the dithering isn't as obvious as it is when zoomed in on a high resolution monitor, it is still slightly noticable, although this was partially intentional. I think the dithering adds a textured look to the skin of the fruit, and these fruit have a very rough skin. Same with the avocado, which has a black to green skin with irregular lumps all over the skin.

When I work on some smoother surfaces for other objects in the game later on, I won't use such contrasting colours in dither patterns.

And while I wait to finish some other ideas, here's an edit on the rockmelon to make it a honeydew:

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 09:30:10 am
I've decided to increase the sprite and forground colour palette of my game to 24 colours instead of 16. Originally they were going to use 16 so the backgrounds could use their own unique 16 colour palette. I changed it so the backgrounds will have 8 unique colours, and be able to use any of the foreground/sprite colours as well, bringing the game to a total of 32 colours.

So I have made an extra dark colour for the colours I already had, after people suggested getting rid of the black in the avocado. I have also started work on the main character sprites. My girlfriend asked me to make an edit of the female character to make her wear Cammy's costume (from Super Street Fighter II), and since that's the only bit of new pixel art I have on this PC at the moment, I'll upload that.

If anyone can give suggestions on how to improve the stance or anything, I value your critique and help.

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 01:04:06 pm
The one thing that pops out to me is that her eyes are crooked.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 01:06:52 pm
I'd say that's because the head is slightly tilted. I could be wrong though

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 01:27:19 pm
why that palette, it's quite horrible. what do you need 3 purples for?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 02:17:34 pm
That's right, the eyes are crooked because the head is slightly tilted, it just looked better that way when I was pixelling it.

As for the colour palette, it's all I could come up with. I guess I could make the purple shades more blue, if you'd like to have a bash and see if you can fix up the colours a bit, feel free. If you can make the palette look better, I'll use it. I do need those shades for some other sprites I'm going to make, as long as they're blueish.

Oh, and the palette is 24 colours now, not 16, and is slightly different from the old 16 colour palette I posted earlier.
This is the updated palette (0 colour is transparent, so it's really only 23).

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 05:08:50 pm
That's right, the eyes are crooked because the head is slightly tilted, it just looked better that way when I was pixelling it.
Then the bangs should be crooked too, because the way they're positioned now make her head look straight.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 05:47:20 pm
I think her build is too stocky, and that makes her look child-like since she also has a very big head. She needs longer legs and a leaner figure. Her ponytail looks flat, and the solid, dark outline combined with the AA makes it look blurry. I'd start over with something more like this:

Quick and messy, but you get the idea.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 09:49:13 pm
I fixed the eyes and the fringe, you guys were right about the left eye being too high. I've changed the purple shades to blue as well, but I'll have to go back and fix up the background blocks that were using the purple shades. I guess I used those particular colours because they mixed well with the greyish shades.

In any case, this is how the character is looking at the moment. The game will feature a boy and a girl character collecting fruit and killing nasties, similar to Tumble Pop or Diet Go Go in the arcades, although it won't be a ripoff of those games. Also, the characters will be able to collect different costumes in the game, which each has a different weapon, so this default look will change pretty quicky through the game anyway. What I would like to do is somehow make the skirt look more like a skirt and less like bike pants, if anyone can suggest something.

As for her build, the look I was going for is what is called "Super Deformed" which is a common Japanese art style. It makes an adult or teen character look short and cute by making the head larger and the body more stocky. Arachne, while your sprite looks nice and 3D, the softer, cuter look that I'm using is intentional. Also, the character won't be wearing the same costume as Cammy in our game, so any work I do on my sprites won't be on that model. Also, all the sprites and foreground blocks in this game have to have a dark outline around them,so I've gone for the darkest shades rather than black, which looks too contrasting on the backgrounds.

This is an example of Japanese Super Deformed artwork - http://www.bythegoddess.com/images/fanart/cammy-pinup.jpg - It's Cammy from SSFII (my girlfriend's favourite character, which is why I drew a Cammy costume on the sprite in the first place).

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 10:27:34 pm
The proportions of the Cammy in your example matches mine almost to a tee, while yours has a much larger head and shorter legs. ???

Edit: I'll clarify; the problem isn't the style itself, but the short legs and large torso. The distance between the top of the head and the crotch and the feet and the crotch should be the same regardless.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 11:05:00 pm by Arachne »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 11:54:04 pm
I don't see what the problem is with the proportions of his sprite.
Sure they aren't realistic, but they weren't intended to be either.
Are the countless number of games that use the same style wrong too?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 12:06:36 am
I just thought it was odd that he'd post an example that proved my point. I'm just throwing in my two cents, wrong as I may be. :)

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 08:19:05 am
I wasn't trying to argue your point, just explaining my reasons for the odd proportions on my character. Now that I look at it, that picture wasn't the best example of SD art, but the head size can range from normal to gigantic, I just chose to go half way in between.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 01:01:25 pm
Just another quick update, here's a screenshot of the game as it is at the moment, there isn't much more than what you can see here at the moment, but there will be when it's finished. We will need a nicely pixelled background behind the foreground and sprites there instead of that purple gradient too.

If anyone wants to help out or suggest something, go for it.

Thanks.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 04:05:01 pm
From a game design point of view I'd would like the stories/steps to be higher. Right now she doesn't even fit under one the steps. If they won't block her movement I guess it's ok but I'd still like it to be 1/3 higher than it is now.

The gradient most go as you said.

Also I'd make the steps less blocky, and hm... perhaps grass on dirt has been done enough times now. Try something more inspired.

The panda does not need that much ditering, but neither does the fruits.

If this is a game where you play one screen at a time I'd try and make the design less blocky over all.

The HUD on the top of the screen could blend into the game area, perhaps you should make the black parts transparent.

Looking forward to see your next mockup.