AuthorTopic: [WIP] grassland tileset for shmup  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Rybar

• Pixels are yummy.
    • View Profile

[WIP] grassland tileset for shmup

on: April 06, 2010, 04:29:48 am
This is my first semi-serious foray into pixel art, looking for some harsh critique, especially color-wise. This is for a flash game that I'm working on with a couple other guys, and I'm at a point where I realize its not very good, and would love some advice on what specifically could be done to make this more interesting.   I'm working in Pro-Motion 6.

This is a snip of the dummy level layout, tiles are 32x32.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] grassland tileset for shmup

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:15:42 am
Hi Rybar, welcome to Pixelation.

What would you say is a real-world geological equivalent to the area you are producing? I ask because the rocky transition from smooth grass to deep blue water is a little strange to me. Seems like something man-made, such as a canal. Whatever kind of landscape you're emulating, find some reference material to help you. My suggestion is to add more of a transition of depth of the water from shallow to deep.

Colours are kind of archetypal. Very green grass, very blue water. It creates a lot of contrast and draws the eye heavily to the water. This is going to be problematic for the visual priority of your game. You need the actual game elements like the player, enemies, bullets and powerups to absolutely stand out, so you'll have to cut down the contrast for your background, I say.

Luckily, there's a great opportunity to unify the colours due to aerial perspective. Harmonise the colours by tinting them towards some ambient hue. The Dodonpachi CC might be a cool thing to check out to see a couple of excellent examples of this. Not only will this improve the visual priority, it will bring unity to the colours and keep your colour count down. :)

The water itself more resembles the choppiness of open water, such as an ocean. There's no indication of flow that a channel of water like this would have. The water near the shore would be hitting the land and be impeded, creating resistence which would manifest as kind of waves parallel to the flow. If that makes any sense. Find some reference!

Quite a bit of noisiness going on with the pixels, particularly the shoreline. Looks like you took to it with a spray can. Think more about how the grass would interact with the rocks, what kind of transition would form, and what kind of light that would create when viewed from high above. Maybe it would look like this... but I have a feeling there's a better solution.

Offline Rybar

• Pixels are yummy.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] grassland tileset for shmup

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:03 pm
Thank you very much for your in-depth reply EyeCraft.  I haven't had any time to make use of your advice yet, but I didn't want you to think I didn't appreciate it by letting this thread go stale.  The screenshots from that CC you posted are awesome! Definitely a lot of inspiring work and great examples of what I'd like to achieve. 

As far as the geography goes, the brief for this was pretty vague.. "It's a green planet, lots of grass, maybe a river or something, farmland" was all I got. I definitely see what you mean about the water, This was partly due to trying to make a visually interesting water tile, with obvious disregard to flow direction, etc. 

I find it difficult to create natural looking transitions in 1 or 2 tiles wide, maybe tiles are the wrong approach for a shooter? The art in the CC you linked to didn't seem to use tiles at all.  Do you have any links to art from shooters that use tiling effectively?

I will admit to hastily completeing the shoreline tiles, not with a spraycan, but it may as well have been. 

Anyways, thanks again for the crit, I think I'm just going to start over with your advice in mind.