AuthorTopic: ATTN PETA  (Read 10180 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart
Thanks. No, that's great crit. I'm sure you've felt like I have before, when immersed in a project - after a while you can no longer see the forest for the trees. Your advice would've been feasible to implement in an earlier stage, but now I'd be foolish to go back, I've got so much to do, it's painful. Now, my original sketch is much closer to your composition, if you look at it, in the WIP. Too bad I distorted things as I went. I play around way too much. Wish you would've asserted yourself sooner. Oh well.

I wouldnt beat yourself up over it either honestly. I think the visibility of the composition becomes less of an issue at 2x anyway.  Having said that i do like the planet compositions a bit better, i think its the horizontal linearity of the aliens as they push back into the background that makes that aspect look a bit less interesting, plus the planet is just a really neat touch if you could shade it in a way that didnt compete with the foreground.

I particularly like the comical stylization of it, the gun and smoke/plasma has some really great angles balanced with some fun ovals and the color choices are really quite nice. im particularly liking the prismatic effect the goggles have with the yellow going green then cyan. my eye is immediately drawn to that.

one thing that might help with the perception of depth is if you make the highlight colors hitting the alien limbs less bright (maybe that cyan color youre using to buffer the green to the red) as it draws some of the aliens a bit too close to the foreground.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile
Eh, what it does is remind me for the next project. Lesson re-learned, no problem, I feel fine. I experienced significant growth in pixel art while working on it, I'm happy with that.

Originally, I was going to poise the char you see at left atop a pile of defeated aliens, like Frazetta popularized, most often done with his Conan character. You know the classic scene. It's been copied and parodied endlessly.

Good analysis of the pixel. This uses a pre-determined pallete, just to be clear - the Commodore64 palette. And an awful palette it is. Challenging. (I'm dying to see you try it out, come on . . . )

It's hard to maintain the detail resolution I desire with such a limited palette when trying to designate objects according to depth or color groups, for example - pushing the aliens more into the bg by using less lighter colors. I tried and tried but just didn't like the results I was getting. I need the left char to have way more focus, but those pesky aliens have ended up stealing a lot. Then what is to blame here? Poor planning? Palette too limited? My own imposed standards too tryannical; offsetting the composition balance negatively because I won't compromise them, the final result ends up paying one way or the other. Here we have confused priority and crowding. Hmm, I could be typing less and be getting more work done on the next one couldn't I, hehe . . .

Oh, and I admit, the odd dissonant badge thingy top-right is the result of giving up on the blue bg planet pretty quickly - I was already using the darkest color for the mid-ground aliens as they diminish away and that didn't really leave anything for the planet. Tried different dithering techniques. Nothing worked.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:48:00 pm by Mathias »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Re: ATTN PETA

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 06:46:13 pm

New one

It's a rat.

He's being electrocuted.

It's a scientific experiment.

They're observing the results.

I need to balance the composition a bit. Seems like too much place for flat areas of color, need more detail regions. Maybe some foreground machinery/equipment.

Sven loves my unrestricted pixellatory abandon.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 02:57:08 am
oh look, an update, it's so polished now

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 03:45:19 am
:D the last piece looks really good so far. When I saw the first sketch I thought " what the hell is he going to do with that" but with all the lighting and such put it in it's really solid.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 04:35:58 am
hehe yeah, the initial sketch is pretty bugly!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:15 pm
Question is, will Robby the rat survive this time.

Offline Ambient

• Aspiring artist
    • View Profile
    • ambient-art.net

Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 10:13:38 pm
If I was one of the scientists, I'd be making bets on whether Robby the rat would survive. Also, on the scientist note, I think there should be a bit of expression- one wincing, one grinning, and one intently watching. Something like that.
If the rings are glowing, the rods should show a bit of a glow around them. Maybe like the edge glow you have with the blue.
When imagining screams, I generally get the picture of people with their tongues drawn in. I'm not sure if this applies to rats, never quite had to deal with them in a long time.

I like the pallet, and the concept is hilarious. I look forward to the final piece :crazy:
Art gives me a joy that nothing else can.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 06:32:34 am
Facial expressions would be hard to do, they're supposed to be chibi big-head characters, and you got all that intense light obscuring detail. Seems like chibi emotion is mainly conveyed with the eyes, and here the eyes are all covered by glasses.

Good thought with the tesla coil things glowiness, but I'm already an issue with ambiguity where the rings kinda melt into the electricity. I intentionally kept certain parts dark and certain parts light to maintain contrast so viewers can understand what's going on. I want to even reduce the glowiness, but it's fun to draw and I get carried away. I especially like rigging up "transparency" effects using a limited palette.

The palette is fixed by the way. It's the Commodore64 palette. Been around for a long time.

Glad you like the concept. There will be a caption to go along with this image when displayed - something about scientists trying to find a cure for something, so this scene depicts a scientific experiment on a lab rat. Though, I'm worried it's too brutal looking, the rat is gettin' it pretty good.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:44:18 am by Mathias »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 01:19:48 pm
Seems like chibi emotion is mainly conveyed with the eyes, and here the eyes are all covered by glasses.

Eyebrows and forehead "ripples" could convey a lot of emotions in this situation: astonishment, concentration, sadism ...