AuthorTopic: Kos Fighter: Laine  (Read 8648 times)

instant

Kos Fighter: Laine

on: July 20, 2006, 03:19:53 am
Due to improvement since I made my last fighter, I have pixeled another for you viewing pleasure.

self crits& comments: I'm going to stop wasting near blacks, but I think my color conservation is getting pretty pro.

C&C appreciated

I've started editing her overall pose and shading. keep going ?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:42:25 am by instant »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Kos Fighter: Laine

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 06:39:12 am
why are her hips sooo wide?

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 06:40:53 am
pretty nice. I'm thinkin' though, she doesn't look very dangerous. If she's supposed to be one of those mysterious, quiet fighters, add some sort of glowing effect, of something of that nature. Or mabye just try a more dynamic pose. Right now she seems just...blah. Other than that she loks pretty good. The leftmost leg looks a funky to me though...  ;)

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 07:16:41 am
why are her hips sooo wide?

McDonalds? Seriously though, Ryu's right, they are HUGE.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 08:27:08 am
you color conservation was succesful, but i have never really seen the need to have less than 16 colors. unless its a 2 bit sprite. if you have open color slots to get to 16 colors, why not use them!
also the way you did the highlights, where there only 1 pixel thick at a time isnt working too well.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:48:18 am
Personally, I love the huge hips. I think it's stylish and different.  :)

instant

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:30:22 pm
The huge hips was just a stylistic preference, I wanted to have fun with this one and this is my result. I do understand that crit about using less than 16 colors, but this was simply a personal challenge for myself. i'm trying to learn unification in my color choice, I am strating small. as I do more works, I slowly increase the color count.
If I do it this way, i believe that i'll have more understanding and creativity with less color.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:52:06 pm
i was just saying that the color conservation was so succesful, that you obviously knew how to get the most of your colors and could add more :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 06:11:39 pm
I wonder why this thread hasn't been more about critique and less about hips.

He wasn't so successful in color conservation, he was using two colors in a few pixels, therefore semi-wasting. The cloth and skin palette shouldn't tie in so strongly, in my opinion. The biggest problem this has is anatomy and center of gravity, hence my edit

I suggest studying the fundamentals of the construction of a weighted, human body a bit more. Neck, legs, face, chest,  most of all.

On other points, your highlights are not shaped in any suggestive shape as far as shapes go, and shapely she is, yes? Generally, the pixelling is on the messy, side, maybe you'd consider cleaning up and AAing all-over to achieve the clean result pixel art shows its' strengths on.

About hips: In the original, they're too much. There's a lot of redundant talk about realism in fighter games, and we've seen flying hippos come down and fight ruyu or something, but in the end, the original girl is in no physical shape to be in a KOS-related fighting tournament situation. My version doesn't really fix this, as her whole body besides her thighs simply lacks muscle development or protective fat. She's a McDonalds-type centralized fat sufferer, not a chun-li "I have the strongest legs in the world" type of specialized fighter.

The demeanour your original sprite conveys is one of idleness, boredom and reluctance too. Especially the facial expression. She would not intimidate anyone in a fight, if not with her surlyness, at least with her enthusiasm (like Sakura for example). She looks bored to be there, and about to pet a dog or is extending her hand for a limp-wristed handshake with her enemy or something.

About color conservation: You need at least two main ramps (flesh, costume) and a few miniramps that melt into the main ramps for hair and accessories. This doesn't mean you can't use the two main ramps to tint other places but it should be centralized. Right now you have one messy big ramp, leaning heavily on the costume colors. The beauty of color conservation and palette crossfading is that it opens up more slots for extra colors you might need, a backlight, some brand new shades for extravagantly coloured hair, two cyborg fullsaturation reds for eyes or guns, stuff you can't meld into a regular palette. Right now what you're doing is monochromatic, and that's the danger we all face when we are supposed to deal with palettes smartly.

Idea: since it's an one-color costume, what I'd do is make the lower leg/arm cloth fade into a different tint, like a green or something to make the costume more interesting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:14:33 pm by Helm »

instant

Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 06:50:30 pm
In regards to her thighs, it was simply stylistic, I'm not thinking in terms of kos, or other spriters. I am focused on what I, the artist, wants to do. Your critique on palette choice and management are understandable, and i shall take them into consideration. My onlyconcern is that you are digging a bit too deep. when i pixel something for a game, or other publication, it is then that i should consider her musculature and specialization. When pixeling for leisure I believe that I have right to do things my way.

I also just noticed her being off balance, that wil be kept in mind along with the overuse of that one ramp. is there anything that you thought was done well? or is critique restricted to pointing out flaws in work?