AuthorTopic: Coat of arms  (Read 9273 times)

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Re: Coat of arms

Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 10:54:08 am
is it just me, or is that Inky on the top there?

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelart and Photoshop tutorials

Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 11:25:45 am
is it just me, or is that Inky on the top there?

Who is Inky? There's Osmi.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 11:44:12 am
I've missed Osmi. Osmi is a good guy.

Wheeeee... shiny...

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 06:19:44 pm
Good pixel-art Gas!! good colours and forms,etc..  i think is a little busy of shiny... I LIKE IT!! XDD

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 07:28:07 pm
Hah! i love this, so classy. i like the tacky sparkles.
alexander

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 11:22:35 pm
well, i can see how the not-so-verbose can post nothing more than 'oooh-aaaah', but im really starting to get a bit tired of those posts personally.. .not that everything has to be scrutinized to death, but i think that someone could point out that 'sparkliness' does not have to be a direct result of a little twinkle animation... in fact, despite really liking the design of things, all the sparklies really make it too confusing to look at if you ask me. When i think of 'sparklies' like that, i think one of two things.

A. final fantasy 6 heal spell,
B. a gem/jewel/high class diamond shimmering in some light, (and even then they would be done for either comical effect or through movement of the item, refracting the light in a brief instant in a manner that might catch the 'camera's eye).

so if you have some of those studded metal pieces that are round (and would probably look really nice as rubies or diamonds or something) then i think the flashie effect would work really well there.

otherwise, i think you should be defining these high reflection areas with ample contrast only. the chest plate grate thing and the little loop of metal around the waist is a great use of this without the sparklies. As for the leafy things, perhaps on the outskirts of the heavy outlines, you could have some ambient reflections near the edges , much like you have done (very nicely) on osmi's head? id also think it would work appropriately around the outside edge of the gold trimming on the shield, to really give it that shine. perhaps you could introduce one more bright yellow color that would segue the white reflection in the gold into the next darkest (and quite literal) 'gold' tone you have established, i think in some of the smoother areas that might look quite nice to AA the highlights (sans sparklies) to the rest of the gold tones.

i really do like the shield effect, looks nice and glass-like. the creative design in the entire piece is really quite fun and interesting, and id defiinitely recognize it as you as soon as i saw it.

oh, one last thing... while as a whole this is a really nice image... i cant get over how muddled and neglected the head-piece looks in comparison to the rest of the gold and the octopus guy... :( perhaps the red is too dark and i htink that black outline in there is killing its continuity. that fluff needs to look brighter perhaps?

anyhow i thought it would be nice to give some real comments on your piece, i hope you dont mind, im just a little tired of the 'whoazQQ!!!1' kindof posts around here (casts hard eyes around)  <_<   >_>   <_<.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 11:31:06 pm
 Whoa! So great that I can't say it lacks anything!

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 05:24:31 am
<<this is inky

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 09:14:11 am
St0ven, I have a comment in Russia forums pointing out I had gone too far with that sparkles. Even my wife thinks so :) (listen to woman and do it the other way, as they say in Russia). But on other hand there were several comments mentioning hypnotizing effect and resuming sparkles work well here. I dunno, personally I get what I want :)

As for the leafy things, I made them blue (with 6 colors) first and then turned to gold (3 colors). I enjoyed the result and added some white dots to get a metal effect forgetting about reflections. Definately should be improved.

As for the crown, I have nothing to say. Reference crown influenced too much.

It makes me want to pixel and post more to get a comment like yours. Thank you!

Maybe I'll do the edit on weekend.

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 09:15:56 am
<<this is inky

Yeah, it looks somewhat like pacman enemy :)