AuthorTopic: Animation Practice  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Soundlust

• View Profile

Animation Practice

on: March 07, 2015, 02:33:52 am
Hello!

I've been feeling like I'm stuck at a wall with pixeling for quite a while, and its been frustrating me.
I still struggle getting things to look how I hope at small scales, but the major problem for me is how much I have to fight to get an animation to feel right. I randomly took a simple idea I've had for a few weeks and decided to just use it as a sandbox to improve within.

So I started with this little guy.  I wanted the walk to have some weight to it, and in my rough I thought it looked passable, but when I added his actual shapes back to the skeleton it felt stiff. But now the swinging arms make him feel too....sassy? A weird swagger. Reminds me of that Vince McMahon gif of him walking to the wrestling ring. But I'm happy because this is exactly my typical problem. I arrive at a point similar to this where it feels off, and then I spend an excessive amount of time blindly tweaking it and hoping I eventually hit the mark.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Animation Practice

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:37:44 pm
Cool character, I like the giant gun :D

I agree that the initial sketch looks good. Biggest problem is you've got 7 frames, I suspect you've just forgotten to turn off the standing frame before uploading but getting rid of that makes it look far better. The problem with the arm is that in the sketch you've got him sort of locked into an L shape arm but in the current version he straightens it up when he swings back. Other big thing is his front leg goes forward too far, remember the 3/4 perspective will make that leg land a little bit back compared to the other. Other thing is the up down head motion should probably cycle twice through the duration rather than just once, it looks a lot more like that in the sketch, I see it as him like swaying his head side to side with his shoulders, in the current he leans a lot to his right but only goes back to centre, if he leaned a bit more to the left I think it'd help
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:40:04 pm by 32 »

Offline Soundlust

• View Profile

Re: Animation Practice

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:06:33 pm
Thanks 32, Appreciate the suggestions!

I did indeed accidentally leave the base drawing in one of the frames. The arm issue was a big problem, I tried fixing those to reduce the over exaggerated swing that was happening. I tried to make the face cycle from left to right then back to center more, not sure how successful that turned out. And lastly I stopped it from making such a big height chance on the final step. He still has some ironing out he needs because I still like the motion in the sketch more than what I have.

I skipped doing the sketch for the run animation I plan to figure that out this evening, I did make a sketch for one of the 3 attacks. I want all the attacks to have alot of recoil in the animation not sure how convincing this one is.