AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sprites for old-style logical game  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Vampir

• View Profile

[WIP] Sprites for old-style logical game

on: March 23, 2011, 02:12:38 pm
First, hello to all :)
Second, sorry for my bad english ...

So, I must make retro-style graphics for my simple logical game. I have chosen simple gameboy-like palette because using advanced palette will be too hard for me. Yes, my drawing skills are about zero :(.

This is my palette:

Here is what I currently drawed:

It must be looking like dark cavern, but my skills makes me to draw only simple ground with grass :) Unfortunatelly I have no ideas how to draw cavern tiles, background and environment.

And take a look at car and tank... Are this graphics lame and dirty? How can I make this picture to be more interesting?

Offline adamisgr8

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sprites for old-style logical game

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:29:49 pm
Personally, I like the tank and car.

But I have never seen grass growing in a cave XD

Maybe research some other game which has cave tiles and see how they did it.
+1

Offline Vampir

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:04:46 pm
Haha you are right about glowing grass ) It is a serious mistake. Now I'm trying to make more dark cavern environment with dirty stones and old dark grass:

But damn... now car is glowing. And I must make something with arc in upper part of screen, for example - to add some volume, spikes e.t.c.
Is my second attemp better then 1st or I'm on wrong way?
And yes, now I will try to learn drawing techniques from another games.

Offline adamisgr8

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:50:23 pm
Improvement!

But, as you said, the cars are too light. Change pallete? I don't know what to say with this subject.

However the bit in the sky looks sliiiiightly weird, It looks like a dirt rainbow XD. How about making it a solid colour at the top and dither it downwards instead of dithering at the top then dithering at the bottom.
+1

Offline Vampir

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:04:14 pm
Thank you for answering :)
So, dirty rainbow (haha :) ) was removed - now there is ground. Also car is darker now (with 1 new color in palette). And now I need to fill darkness in the middle with something... or I don't?

Oh... I'm sad. I can't see life and originality in my picture. I need to find a way to make this picture more interesting. But how? Maybe I must redraw it all completely?

Offline Sinistral Erim

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 03:25:30 pm
Try a huge rock pattern background with maybe some entrances/windows to some other part of the cavern? There are thousands of fun things in caves: stalagmites, spires, crystals....

Inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WXPVTtz9M or  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxScPIywYwo or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc_Foj8HIxs&feature=related

Offline Vampir

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:11 pm
So many thing to look and try... I'm going to work for few days. Thank you, Sinistral Erim.
Also cavern's ceiling is flat, it must to be more volumetric  ???. This is my task #2.

Offline Vampir

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 06:00:04 am
So... Now I'm trying to redraw all.

Now ground looks more volumetric and has no grass. Also I added crystals to the bottom. Possible, my biggest trouble is repeatability. Critique, please :)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 06:18:38 am
Too much dang noise and dither. "Repeatability" will remain an issue until you create variation tiles. So create some.

Offline Vampir

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 01:46:27 pm
I don't know how to resolve problems of dithering and noise for now, so I'm going to read tutorials. Looks like I need a lot of practice before making another attempts.