AuthorTopic: Creature Sprites  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Cubaser

• View Profile

Creature Sprites

on: April 03, 2011, 03:28:27 pm
Hello, all!  I've been lurking here for a while, but have finally decided to post some sprites! I've been doing pixel art for a long time, and enjoy it a lot, although never have really done it for any games and such.  I mostly sprite random creatures and things like that, although recently I've started with tiles and textures.  I was wondering if anyone could give some C&C on these, and tell me what I'd need to improve?

Some random creatures I created for an adoptable site I ran for a short time --

Some tilesets/a mockup of them put together.  I know I need to improve on these, but I'm not sure where to start -

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Creature Sprites

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:31:18 pm
'Adoptables'. Oh, adoptables. I've been seeing those things for years in the signatures of forum-goers. Mostly dragons. Now I realize many of them aren't as good as they could've been.

Just like the first time I went to DeviantArt through the eyes of an Internet neophyte and saw downright masterpieces everywhere I looked, but that was five years ago.

First one, which I presume is some sort of pink hypnotoad, do you really need so many colors, or outlines, or that much banding? Almost seems pillow shaded the way you're doing it. However, there does seem to be a light-source, but it's very inconsistent. Light seems to be coming from the top-left on the frog's back and head, but from the top on its very deformed leg and from the bottom on its elbow. On that note.. What is that thing supposed to be on its back? A tail? If it's supposed to be its other leg, at this perspective, it wouldn't be visible. Right now it looks like some strange growth. Same goes for the left eyelid. It's basically a frog, so references should be easy.

Second one looks like a Pokemon, but what's that got to do with it? Terrible, terrible banding... A lack of hue shifting on the palette, but looking over it, this goes for all of them. The right wing's perspective is really off, making it seem to be shaped differently than the left. Matter of fact the wings seem to be out of place with the body. Something about the tail bothers me but I'll just pass it off as curving to the left.

Third one also looks like a Pokemon.. I think it's Rapidash it reminds me of. It was a bit hard to recognize it as a unicorn, but I presume that's because the horn on its head is extremely close to the forum background color. I have a strong feeling you'll need to pull up reference for this--it seems you have only a vague idea of what a horse looks like. (Too realistic?)

As for your mockup, there's still heaps of unneeded banding, so the palette could probably be lowered by at least a few colors. No idea, really--I'll have to go over the palette in-depth. The perspective is also really unmatched, namely, on the grassy fields and the dirt path. The flower gives it away. Actually, that tile you call "grass" seems rather noisy, or perhaps it's just me. To fix this problem you might want to show more strands of grass sticking upwards, and make the transition from dirt to grass softer.

Offline Cubaser

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:24:58 pm
Thanks for replying.  The first one is a pink frog, and I did use a reference - I used from this reference of a picture I took of a frog in my yard, which has the same anatomy/perspective as my pixel frog:

Er, you mentioned that its leg is "deformed" - could you elaborate on this?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "deformed" - is it too small, or too big? And which leg are you referring to?

I do know what a horse looks like, but the creatures I sprited aren't supposed to look too realistic - right now I'm looking for critique on composition, such as shading and color choice, and things like that, as the sprites I make sometimes come out cartoony rather than completely realistic.  You also mention banding - what is banding?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:06:31 am
...Oh. So you did use a reference. I had a feeling you might have from the start, but what with the lighting, it wasn't very apparent. I suppose that took place in giving off the impression that the frog's leg, among many parts of the image were 'deformed'. It's important to know how to shade it properly, though.

Note you missed out on one of the frog's fingers hidden by shadow, and thus, the hand looks "bent". Also note, some of your lines don't exactly follow the image you traced, especially apparent on the frog's hand.

Other mistakes are rather hard to explain. So I made a bit of a guide, here, simply by shrinking what you currently have traced, albeit with a few modifications, to roughly the size you have your adoptable-thing, removing the image around it, and then cleaning it. Seems better than what you have now, so you might want to compare the two. Hope it helps.

Also, if you want to know what banding is.. Well I'll leave it to this guide, which covers not only banding but also many other things to avoid when making pixel art. In fact, that's what the section's titled; "Things to Avoid". Section IV, part 4 is what you're looking for.

One more thing: I'm not sure if fighting back against improper anatomy in your sprites is the best thing to do. You essentially seem to be refusing critique on one aspect of your pixel art and asking for another. That's.. That's actually something that's happened many times before if I recall correctly, especially in this forum. Take it all in. Trust me, every bit of it is valuable.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:18:25 pm by pistachio »

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:03:35 pm
Also, if you want to know what banding is.. Well I'll leave it to this guide, which covers not only banding but also many other things to avoid when making pixel art. In fact, that's what the section's titled; "Things to Avoid". Section IV, part 4 is what you're looking for.

Which Guide?

I know Helm had a good one: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8110.0

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:18:04 pm
Which Guide?

I know Helm had a good one: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8110.0

:yell:

Forgot to link it. I'll edit that post. Other than that, not much to say here, really.

Offline Cubaser

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:17:25 pm
Thanks, Pistachio, I'll keep those things in mind. :3