AuthorTopic: [WIP] Flea the Robot  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Aaron P

• View Profile

[WIP] Flea the Robot

on: September 28, 2009, 09:52:15 am
Hey guys, new here. Im very much a beginner when it comes to pixel art, so I came here to get some critique from the professionals. I hope to up my skills to some of the awesome stuff i've seen you guys post.

Anyway, C+C, opinions, ideas, help, edits, anything you think will help me here, feel free!

2x | Orig Size

Update: More Contrast

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:15:15 pm by Aaron P »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Flea the Robot

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:11:26 pm
Hey Aaron, first of all don't waste your time posting multiple sizes. Pixelation has special scripting that allows us to just click any posted image to blow it up. Though, right now most browsers are bilinear blending blown-up pixels . . . still I wouldn't post multiple sizes.

Everyone here will tell you your contrast is way too low. He's also "flat" - by that I mean there's no discernable visual depth to your sprite.

Use this thread extensively: Resources  -  Go to the Tutorials and References section. Find a tutorial that suits you and follow it.

Offline Aaron P

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:14:25 pm
Ok, I tried fixing the Contrast, does this look like a step in the right direction? also tried fixing his head to make it look less flat.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:25:22 am
Thats a good improvement, however you can push the contrast further. Also try tinting your greys slighly to other hues, it will help give things a more realistic appearance. Played with an edit a bit to give you an idea:

Offline Aaron P

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:37:34 am
Oh wow EyeCraft. That definitely eclipses my pixel art knowledge at this point, haha. Or perhaps my art knowledge in general. I may need to do some more studying, and I dont want to simply just make a work that emulates yours, I want to be able to take the concepts you used to improve my picture and turn it into what you did. If possible, can you detail exactly what techniques you employed to improve upon mine?