Critique > 2D & 3D

Wing Commander Pixel Art-y Unity Remake

<< < (2/13) > >>

Howard Day:
Thanks, pistachio! The UI and cockpit...are renders. No painting. I directly save images from 3DSMax to Unity. I fiured out how to do index painting in max, and I love the poop outta it. Here's a glimpse at a straight from MAX 3D render of the main menu:

Vinik:

--- Quote from: Howard Day on July 03, 2019, 09:08:24 pm ---Thanks, pistachio! The UI and cockpit...are renders. No painting.

--- End quote ---
They are what the what? Not even some manual adjustments on the pixelized result at all? :o
Frankly I am shocked. I could guess that on the ships, given the tech displayed on the pixel rendering thread, but not on the cockpit/UI, no.

Also, are the ship's sprites rendered with a parallel camera or a perspective one? I guess parallel, and you zoom by simple scaling, disregarding perspective to cut on the number of sprites? Awesome stuff.

Howard Day:
They're straight renders. I don't touch them up at all. I'm pretty lazy. I just did a pass on doing damaged versions too - these get dynamically masked in based on your ship taking core damage. Again - these are just renders. I'm happy to share the max file for parts of the cockpit, or maybe give a procedural rundown of how it's done? I need to make a new cockpit for a Dralthi and Valtar, so either one would be a good step-by step tutorial! :D

eishiya:
Do you plan to do a clean-up pass on these? At a glance they look fantastic, but I fear during prolonged play it'll be much easier to notice the messy bits. But then again, during prolonged play, the hectic gameplay might keep one's eyes from wandering xP

Nitpick: the shattered glass on the fuel monitor and the one above it seem to have their cracks lined up, making them look like one monitor with a frame across it. If that's not the intent, I think offsetting or h-flipping the cracks on the smaller screen would work better. The two small monitors on the left have this same issue, but to a much lesser degree.

Howard Day:
Vinik: Oh the ships are rendered at a very narrow perspective, not orthographic. I *think* it's something like 7.5deg FOV. Completely orthographic didn't look right in a perspective-rendered scene. I'd likely go that way in an isometric game, tho.
eishiya: I don't plan a clean up pass, actually...I'd actual;ly love a list of the things you see that would otherwise *need* a pass, and to see if I can fix them on the render side! :D Thanks for the glass crack line up note - I will *definitely fix that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version