AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric Buildings  (Read 6213 times)

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

[WIP] Isometric Buildings

on: April 18, 2010, 09:57:48 pm
Hey there! This is my first try at isometric, and i'm very satisfied with the results!  ;D

I want to know your opinion about the colours, size, proportions, style, etc...

See ya!

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Isometric Buildings

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:38:17 pm
Considering their 1960s/1970s architecture, the second and fourth buildings look the look. But the first building appears to use columns of windows that alternate in width, appearing messy, especially when there is only an even number of window columns. The arrangement of colours is also inconsistent here; some columns use darker colors between windows, while others don't. Unless you're aiming for an irregular facade, it's usually helpful to simply copy-paste the columns so that inconsistencies can be eliminated. The sides of the building facing the viewer is also awfully saturated with lines, appearing messy. I suggest toning it down a bit so you have more room to work with.

The same can be applied to the third building. Experiment around.

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06:48 pm
I really apreciated your suggestions, and i will try to apply them on the 3 building too. Thanks  :y:

I made a quick edit in the 3 building:

I removed the vertical lines because I thought it was very messy. I still have to work on the windows, but i'm walking on a cirlce...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:29:45 pm by Jakerpot »

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:55:27 pm
The key to it is consistency. You can follow a two or three pixel pattern or more (with dots, lines or a mix of both), but make sure it repeats as the example provided shows. Sky's the limit from that point on.

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:37:29 pm
My problem is their position. The top windows in the front feel so wrong... This was the best position that i found for them.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:46:32 am
That's because their distance from the floor is inconsistent. Some are one pixel away while others have two pixels. Perhaps the cause of the problem is this building uses irregular patterns, which, unless rectified using anti-aliasing, will appear messy and unaligned.

As mentioned, start out with patterns that will not alternate with each step. Familiase yourself with the basics, then move on to more advanced designs, like the mentioned irregular pattern.

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:32:49 pm

As you can see here, the windows are exactly 1 pixel away from the bottom line, but they feel so messy!

I don't know how to make them feel like they are on the same line!

As mentioned, start out with patterns that will not alternate with each step.

What do you mean with 'patterns that will not alternate with each step'?

Thanks for your pacience  :)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 05:00:07 pm
your problem is you're only looking at the vertical space between windows, not the horizontal space.

Offline ChadHachey

• Send more paramedics
    • View Profile
    • PixelJoint

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 05:03:07 pm
The row on the right is not lined up properly, try moving the top window up a pixel then it'll look straight. Did you just eyeball this? A good practice is to draw in horizontal guidelines, you'll see what you're doing wrong and it'll make life easier for you. =D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:04:41 pm by ChadHachey »

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 06:02:48 pm
The horizontal space is not wrong, i mean, the windows are in vertical rows, so their horizontal position depends of the other windows postion.

try moving the top window up a pixel

I tried but it looks worse  :yell:

Offline ChadHachey

• Send more paramedics
    • View Profile
    • PixelJoint

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:32 pm

As you can see it's not lined up, moving it up a pixel would make your windows straight horizontally. Maybe your eyes are playing tricks, that or I'm missing what you're tying to explain.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:06:43 pm
I think he's trying to make it work with the horizontal gaps he has now.

But, Jakerpot, I just don't think it will work, unless you do some masterful AA'ing. Even then, I don't think it would be worth it, just use more properly aligned steps.

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:14:52 pm
Thats so confusing  :'(

Yeah, it wont work anyway...

I think i will let how it is now and move to another building...

Thank you all, soon i will post a new building  :y:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 07:44:33 pm
the issue is that you're trying to use an odd-sized (3-pixel) pattern in a projection which is 2:1.  Patterns, to keep the perfect lines, must have widths that are divisible by 2.

The reason it works for blackbeltdude is that he's got a 3-pixel wide window space with a 1 pixel wide gutter, making his pattern 4 pixels wide.

Similarly, over a wide enough area, even odd-width patterns will begin to become regular, however this will be every pair, because (odd width) + (odd width) = even width, which can repeat.

Basically, you can't treat the line as all the same.  There are pixels which are mostly above the perfect line, and pixels which are below it.  You have to treat these as though they are at different heights, because, well, they are.

here's some examples :
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 10:50:47 pm
you're trying to use an odd-sized (3-pixel) pattern in a projection which is 2:1

What do you mean with that? I'm sorry, i'm brazilian and there are some things that i don't understand.