AuthorTopic: Widepixel stuff  (Read 11351 times)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: [WIP] Widepixel stuff

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 11:19:55 pm

That should be a little more hair-like, I hope. :D

That is nice, I hope you follow mcol restrictions :D What's the background colour if so.
Of course. ;) I'm using the brightest gray for that one.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 05:25:46 pm

Slight update. :D

Offline WhiteNoise

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 07:40:39 pm
I don't think you're following the multicolour restrictions. I can see quite a lot of 8x8 blocks with more than 4 colours in them, especially around the teeth and the planet (less if you're using mid gray instead of light gray, i think)

I'm saying this now, because it looks like you're putting final touches on certain areas... Ofcourse, you don't have to follow the restrictions, but i think it would make ptoing a happier person if you did

I also had a hard time figuring out why the little guy was so terrified, but i guess that will become easier to understand if you work out the fly/bee on the nose

I like the self portrait, good stuff  there

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 10:12:16 pm
Oh, sorry, I haven't really finished much of it yet. I've been experimenting a bit to figure out the best way to go about shading something like this, and I tried to shade it without paying any mind to restrictions first and clean it up later, but I didn't think that turned out to be such a great idea.

Not sure what to do about the fly. I tried changing the color to black, but felt that separating it more from the face made it seem less as if it was inside his helmet. I'm also having a bit of trouble with the symmetry of his face. One of his eyes seems to be falling out of his head while the other one isn't. :blind:

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 12:10:27 am

OK, everything should fit the multicolor restrictions now. There's still quite a bit of cleaning up to do, though. sharprm suggested making him more cross-eyed, so it should be a bit easier to tell what he's freaking out about now. :)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 03:57:32 pm
There is one charerror at the eye on the left. Top border of the eye, easiest would be to remove the one pixel of red from that char. The red eyes look a bit off I think, but deffo very very nice for a first proper go at MCOL. Also, any reason the planet is not round? It would look even more elongated on the real thing because the pixelratio is not 1:2. I think the sprites are 24x21 because of that. I tried and measured on my tv and those ratios seem to be pretty dead on square. So big objects which should be round should fit in that case. (If you want them to appear round on the real thing that is)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 11:31:21 pm
Also, any reason the planet is not round? It would look even more elongated on the real thing because the pixelratio is not 1:2. I think the sprites are 24x21 because of that. I tried and measured on my tv and those ratios seem to be pretty dead on square. So big objects which should be round should fit in that case. (If you want them to appear round on the real thing that is)
Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll stick with 1:2 for simplicity's sake this time, though, but I'll keep it in mind for next time. :)

Roundness! :D

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: Widepixel stuff

Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 09:25:15 am
Hi, guys!

I'm calling this one done, or I'll never stop messing with it. It got easier as I started getting used to working with these restrictions, so I was constantly tempted to redo parts of it.

:D

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 10:40:50 am
This came out really nice, tho of course I have to nitpick about technicalities.

Assuming that the background colour is light grey, you have 2 characters with errors.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 03:23:48 pm
Thanks, ptoing. I appreciate it. :)

That should take care of it, I hope.