AuthorTopic: A Rock with edit, and a newer edit  (Read 11250 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

A Rock with edit, and a newer edit

on: August 28, 2006, 06:43:14 am

You know the drill; 100x100, 5 colors. I think the dark green and the dark grey could be merged and i could add another color somewhere, what do you think?

I have one major problem with it: why does the shading make me want to puke?  I'm happy with the highlights, but it just does not have any depth :S

Also, was trying something a more uniform dithering than I normally do, what do you think?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 04:54:03 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: A Rock

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:57:21 am
personally i dont much care for it
i made this along time ago for someone else, but it might help you too

id suggest first figuring out exactly the forms of your rock - picking out which lines are edges, and which lines are corners. corner lines are darker, while edges are highlights
throw on your base colours
establish your shadows and highlights
colour your rock to look either plastic or metally
use dithering as a technique to add texture and roughness, opposed to a technique of blending colours
then play around with it abit

your rock is too soft..
use more block colours, instead of dithering over 1 base colour to create highlights and shadow
each shade should become a block colour and then use dithering only to blend slightly and to add texture

thats some quick crit from me
hopefully that image may be useful

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 08:17:42 am
Well there's a few problems I spot. I agree with flaber, WAY too soft for a rock. Lay off the dithering so much to fix that. And ya, you have to make a nice form for the rock, or it will come out looking like a blob. Use jagged forms of shading to shape the rocks, then dither to give it a nice texture. Here's a really quick crap edit I did, but it should explain it some:

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 08:50:09 am
Okay here's the edited version:

got rid of the darkest green and traded it for a highlight color. does it look more "hard" now?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:52:44 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Re: A Rock with edit

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 01:23:33 am
I like where you're going with this Rydin, but the dithering is a little too intense and confuses the artwork when zoomed in. Some dithering is warranted, for sure, in order to make a nice transition between shades whilst limiting colors, but it's still in need of toning down as it's a bit extreme. Probably has to do with the large checkerboard patterns you're using.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 12:08:25 am
what's the use in dithering colours so much that there are no pieces of 100% the same colour anywhere?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 04:39:21 am
what about black?

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 08:47:50 am
That dithering is ugly, dusty's edit is a lot better in every possible way.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 06:40:13 pm
I agree with Gil, I don't see why you dithered so much here.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 07:04:07 pm
 ??? I guess I'm confused... When did dithering become a bad thing?  I'm trying to restrict my color usage, and I feel that one of the best ways to do that is by dithering. ??? My major problem is not the dithering; I couldn't stand the original shading, and now I think its looking better.  I know I asked what you thought about the dithering, but I would rather get some feedback on the depth of the rock.  And anyways shouldn't the amount of dithering iI use be up to me?

This is a work in progress, and I want to change it for the better, but by ripping on my style and by saying other's is better is basically saying that I shouldn't try ???